Information Needed: 1931 4 Door Sedan

Guest AbsolutPONTIAC

Guest AbsolutPONTIAC

Hello everyone,

My father and I restored my grandfathers 1931 Pontiac 4 Door Sedan about 10 years ago. We choose this as our project because we loved the look of the car. Never knew too much about the history.

My question to you guys is where would the best place be to research the history of the car. I have been to car shows all over New England and around the country. I have never seen one exactly like it.

Any recommends you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Rick

You probably have a 31309 (style number) Standard Sedan or a 31319 Custom Sedan.

The "Fine Six" Series "401" Pontiacs (84,708) were built from February 1931 until December 1931.

You will have a 60 hp 200.4 cid engine.

As Pontiac did not officially use years to designate their cars until 1932 you might have an end of the run Series "6-30B". In that case your style number would be 30302 or 30309.

If you needed specific information I have Operators, Repair Parts, Parts (both body and mechanical, Care and Operation and shop manuals (both GM and Fischer) and could look things up for you.

Tinindian,

You're a wealth of information, so I thought I'd jump in and ask you what type of running board and floorboard material was used on my '28 sedan. My late father and I bought the car 50+ years ago( Boy am I getting old)at which time he did a quick restoration on it.

It currently has a thin ribbed rubber mat on the running boards and nothing on the floorboards. Thanks!

:) kaycee

I have only seen the "proper" running board rubber once. It had wider flat toppped ribs running lengthwise and had Pontiac embossed in the middle.

Originally the front floor mat was ribbed rubber with a flat border all the way aroung and around all the openings and the Fischer body emblem. I still have the original one for my car. Except for size I am sure that Series 6-28 to Series 401 had the same design on the floor mats. All the ones that I have owned (6) and seen have had the rear mat replaced. My "repair parts list" shows a mat for the front only (the illustration matches mine exactly).

Thanks Tinindian!

My father saved the small piece of the front mat with the Fisher emblem on it, but as I said the running board material on the car now is a thin ribbed rubber mat like they use on office floor runner material. I'll also check my parts manual.

Thanks again, and I don't have to ask, keep the Pontiac going!

Guest AbsolutPONTIAC
You probably have a 31309 (style number) Standard Sedan or a 31319 Custom Sedan.

The "Fine Six" Series "401" Pontiacs (84,708) were built from February 1931 until December 1931.

You will have a 60 hp 200.4 cid engine.

As Pontiac did not officially use years to designate their cars until 1932 you might have an end of the run Series "6-30B". In that case your style number would be 30302 or 30309.

If you needed specific information I have Operators, Repair Parts, Parts (both body and mechanical, Care and Operation and shop manuals (both GM and Fischer) and could look things up for you.

Thank you very much for the information Tinindian. I will try to post some pics of mine.

Hi Tinindian,

Thanks for your info on the running board and floormat materials. I would appreciate it if you can scan and post pictures or e-mail me an attachment. Thanks again, and have a good weekend!

Kent

e-mail littleeight@att.net

Tinindian :) Thanks much for the pictures of the mats. Now to find or try to manufacture them. I appreciate your help and you should be proud of your '30. Great looking (and I'm sure great running) car!

If you are trying to get floor mats made I have my original one that could be a good sample and would sure want to buy one. I would also be interested in running board mats.

Hi Tinindian,

My apology to Rick on this post. I did'nt intend to 'hijack it'!

I'll see what I come up with in reproducing the floormat and running board mats, and start a new post or PM you. I also gave your aaca name (Tinindian) to another Pontiac owner who has a question and just posted a picture of a '29 wire wheel hubcap. You may want to check his post. Thanks again, and have a good weekend!

• 1 year later...
Guest chevk5

Hi

I am looking for a Rear head or front for a 1931 Pontiac Split six engine. I have a crack in the rear head and would like to find a original head and not have to put a repaired back on it. I have been told that the 1930 1931 and 1932 heads are the same,, I would be interested in one or both .. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank You in advance,, Tony 651 429 2000 Home 651 497 1447 cell

Guest chevk5

Hi

I am looking for a Rear head or front for a 1931 Pontiac Split six engine. I have a crack in the rear head and would like to find a original head and not have to put a repaired back on it. I have been told that the 1930 1931 and 1932 heads are the same,, I would be interested in one or both .. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank You in advance,, Tony 651 429 2000 Home 651 497 1447 cell