Battery Group for '57 Mercury?

Guest jumpinjivinjoe

Guest jumpinjivinjoe

I have a 1957 Mercury Monterey with a Turnpike Cruiser engine (368 cu. in.). I currently have a commercial group 29 battery that no longer keeps a charge; I need to replace it but getting another of that size is out of my budget.

What group of battery would you suggest would be good for it? What is the minimum sized battery I could use?

Thank you in advance! You all have helped me greatly with my past questions.

Guest raywilks

you can buy that batt at tractor supply or a batt shop that carries forklift truck batteries. they run 100-125 in my area. the group 32n is not available there.

if original is not a big deal for you, how about buying a battery box for mustang of 60's ford from one of te suppliers and buy your battery from walmart? one of best guarantee's in my area. thanks, ray.

Guest Jim_Edwards
I have a 1957 Mercury Monterey with a Turnpike Cruiser engine (368 cu. in.). I currently have a commercial group 29 battery that no longer keeps a charge; I need to replace it but getting another of that size is out of my budget.

What group of battery would you suggest would be good for it? What is the minimum sized battery I could use?

Thank you in advance! You all have helped me greatly with my past questions.

Your '57 Mercury takes the same battery as my '58 Mercury. The actual correct battery is a 29NF, which is a bit of a weirdo when it comes to the physical case dimensions. 13"L X 5-1/2"W X 9"H

The 29NF battery was/is rated at 390 cold crank amps and 450 crank amps. The old rule of thumb was one cold crank amp per cubic inch of engine displacement.

Exide Battery still produces the 29NF and if your local dealer hasn't one in stock (fat chance) they can usually get one within 24-48 hours. There are other battery sizes that will fit the tray and will not be high enough to be a problem with contacting the hood. At one time AutoZone had a slightly smaller battery in their "professional" line of batteries that actually had a higher crank amp rating, but the last time I asked about one the idiot behind the counter just stood there looking as stupid as he was.

If you have a CarQuest store in your area they can also get you a 29NF battery.

http://www.carquest.com/batteries/Battery-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Guest jumpinjivinjoe

Thanks Ray and Jim. One cold crank amp per cubic inch of displacement is a great rule of thumb that I will remember. I will go to the battery store and order one up soon. Thanks Again!