Speedometer Cable Core

Can anyone tell me what the end of the speedometer cable core would look like on a '29 Dictator GE? I've attached pictures of mine. The first one is the end that goes into the back of the speedometer gauge, and the second is the sheared off end that screws into the gearbox/tranny. I looked into the opening and didn't see any loose parts - I'm guessing the previous owner removed the broken section and reattached the cable. The gauge end looks as though it's crimped on - is that correct? Lastly, where would one find a replacement?

Thanks all for your help!

Robert

post-60134-143138393079_thumb.jpg

post-60134-143138393112_thumb.jpg

Guest stude8

Attached are photos of NOS speedometer cables for 1929-32 Studebakers. They sold a long time ago but I kept the photos for reference. As I recall the core ends are simply swaged to a square shape. I have seen modern cores sold as a longer than needed "Universal" size that has a small tool included that after you cut the core to right length you slip it into the tool that is then beaten with a hammer to shape the core end square.

Be sure to remove the driven fibre gear piece from trans socket to be sure teeth are not stripped or lack of lube may have scored the metal gear shaft to where it is sticking in the bore. Either of those faults would eat up a new core spring soon.

Stude8

post-31139-143138395782_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138395791_thumb.jpg

Be sure to remove the driven fibre gear piece from trans socket to be sure teeth are not stripped or lack of lube may have scored the metal gear shaft to where it is sticking in the bore. Either of those faults would eat up a new core spring soon.

Stude8

How does one do this? Does the "driven fibre gear piece" just screw in to the socket?

Robert

Guest stude8

I just checked my 1925-28 1/2 parts catalog and under Book A Division E page 284 they list Group E19 Transmission Speedometer Drive Gear parts.

Unfortunately they are not illustrated. There is reference to a speedo drive gear bushing 151134 with a 7/8" hex shoulder that I suspect has to be removed from trans case to access the driven gear part. This will just be a hands on job under the car to investigate how the speedo cable connection is disassembled from the trans case. I don't have one loose on the floor to look at any more. Stude8

• 4 months later...
Guest maudsley

I now have the speedo cable out from the 28 FA President. The two ends are entirely different. The gauge end is the same as the photo above indicates, but the "gear" end is quite different. Imagine an old style house door key, it had a shaft with the key coming down off the shaft. It is similiar to that but the shaft is about 1 1/4 in long and the Key only comes about an 1/8 in down off the shaft. It just slides in.

My question is with the oil coming out of the key hole. With the key in or out, oil will run from key hole and into the housing. Hence the problem. Does anyone know if there was felt or some packing to keep the oil in? My camera is still not speaking with my computer, but I would be happy to send a pic message from my phone if you would like to see the Key end.

I did buy a repair kit which has the gauge end, but not the transmission end.

send message if you want a picture.

David