rusty old 1950 chevy panel help

Guest tdplbg

im going to restore a 1950 chevy 1 ton panel the major problem is the whole body is rusted, its not bad like rusted thru but its a big truck to sand it all off.

does this paint that converts rust into a primer really work??? Help

I have had good luck with Eastwood's rust encapsulator. I just lightly sanded the areas to be painted, then cleaned it with their metal prep product and sprayed the encapsulator on. It goes on gloss black, but quickly fades to almost a flat black. I then used normal primer and paint. The results came out fine. But with that said the truck was not a show truck, only a driver, and it was olive drab.

I did thin down the encapsulator to make it flow through my gun. You can put it on with a brush and usually do that with frame pieces, etc. It really flattens out and you usually cannot see any brush marks. It does dry very quickly so you have to keep the can tight and pour only what you can use in 15 minutes or so. It also has a lot of solids in it so you have to really mix it well. It is usually on sale for about $25 a quart plus shipping.

Rust Encapsulator Paint - Stop Rust and Corrosion

I see that Eastwood also sells a rust converter that you can use before the encapsulator. But have never used that product.

Hope that this helps.

Guest Jim_Edwards

I think I would take the vehicle in question someplace to have it media blasted followed by an immediate priming with an epoxy primer. Faster, better, and probably cheaper in the long run.

Jim