28 Dodge/dast four I.D.

NZdodge

Hi all, a new member here, I have just brought a Dodge fast four but not to sure the year the car is, think it is a 1928, If any body could help, that would be great. Serial # on toe plate is A 987899, the engine # on head is A or R 32501 and 6S26 in middle of head, not to sure about the S it could be a 8, on left side of engine # is 1062 - 043

The car is a sedan and has brakes on all four wheels and wheel base is 108"

This car is a Right hand drive as I am in New Zealand. Would anybody be able to tell me how many R/H drive cars were built. Please see photo's

Many thanks

NZdodge

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

post-72038-143138371865_thumb.jpg

post-72038-143138371867_thumb.jpg

Guest M R Simpers

NZ,

Your car is a 1928 Fast Four. Your car number A987,899 dates to Oct. 13, 1927 plus or minus a day. The 1928 production year started on July 1, 1927.

You have what is called a "D" motor. When the "D" motor numbers passed D999,999, the company dropped the "D" prefix and started numbering the motors at 1,000,000. By that time (1927 to 1928) the differential difference between the engine number "digits" and the car number "digits" was around 74,000 to 75,000. Your difference is 74,144 so I'd say that you have the original engine.

I have no data on the quantities of DB's that were shipped abroad.

You carburetor looks strange as does the studs sticking out of the front ends of the exhaust and intake manifolds.

M. R. Simpers

Cocoa, FL U.S.A.

Thanks very much for that. It's great to know when it was built and that the engine is original.

The carburetor is missing the bowl. i think but I am new to this so will have to do some research on the carburetor.

I don't know what the two studs are for, the front one on the exhaust has a cir-clip grove in it and the one on the intake has a slip pin hole in it, if anyone has any good ideas, i would like to hear them.

The engine still turns over with the crank handle which is hopefully good.

Can you tell me anything about the fan assembly for the front of the engine as it just seems to have a stud sticking out of the head and no fan parts came with the car.

Please see photo's

Thanks

NZdodge

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

post-72038-143138372138_thumb.jpg

post-72038-14313837214_thumb.jpg

Guest M R Simpers

NZ,

You are missing the 4 blade fan and pulley assembly. There is a shaft on the fan pulley to which attaches a short adjustment arm. The other end of the arm goes onto the shaft pointing out of the head. The notch in that head shaft is the guide for the bolt on the adjustment arm. The adjustment arm mounts horizontal and points to the left of the car.

The fan you need has a rounded end to the fan blades. The earlier DB fans have square ends.

Let's see if I can now attach a few photos.

M.R.

post-64343-143138375724_thumb.jpg

post-64343-143138375725_thumb.jpg

post-64343-143138375726_thumb.jpg

post-64343-143138375728_thumb.jpg

Guest M R Simpers

NZ,

Good luck. I guess you know you are missing the radiator apron. That's the sheet metal piece below the radiator that covers the frame horns. Seeing parts on the floor of your photo you probably have it.

You are fortunate to have original paint and paint lines to replicate. Too many people repaint a car and do not properly paint the belt mouldings and window reveals. Good luck with it.

Join the Dodge Brothers Club. Go to www.dodgebrothersclub.org

M.R.