57 Olds Generator interchange

Guest Hayman

Hello, Looking for 57 Olds Generator, does anybody have one or can look up in there interchange manual to see what would fit. Swap meet next week for me, it seems I not able to find a original generator.

Thanks Dana

Guest Jim_Edwards
Hello, Looking for 57 Olds Generator, does anybody have one or can look up in there interchange manual to see what would fit. Swap meet next week for me, it seems I not able to find a original generator.

Thanks Dana

Your best bet will be to take it to an auto electric shop and have them rebuild it. Brushes and bearings for it are available from a number of sources if you want to tackle it yourself.

Don't know where you are located so can't help you with any local suggestions on an auto electric shop. Any local mechanic should be able to make a recommendation or two.

394s, This Generator is shot! We have a very good repair shop here in Wa. they said I would be better off finding another core or rebuild. Thats what I'm trying to do at this point. Do you know if Pontiac or Buick has the same generator.

Thanks Dana

Guest Jim_Edwards
394s, This Generator is shot! We have a very good repair shop here in Wa. they said I would be better off finding another core or rebuild. Thats what I'm trying to do at this point. Do you know if Pontiac or Buick has the same generator.

Thanks Dana

The generator on your car was used on many GM products from the early 1950s into the early 1960s. It was also used on some Studebaker and Nash automobiles. For a more specific response I need to know if your car has A/C.

Jim

Guest Jim_Edwards
394, My car is Olds 98, it has no A/C. it does has elec. windows and all the other goodies.

Thanks Dana

Okay, I'll make you a list of the most likely ones to find. Believe it or not there are too many specific makes, models, and years to list all. It will not be too difficult to locate one good enough to rebuild somewhere nearby.

Jim

Guest Jim_Edwards

More common interchange generators for your '57 Olds. Given pulleys may be different for different makes you should use the pulley from your old generator in all cases to eliminate any potential issues.

Cadillac '57 series 60 & 62 and series 75 w/o A/C

Chevy '58 & '59 all passenger cars 6 & 8 cyl.

Olds '58 - '60 W/O A/C

Pontiac '59-'62 W/O A/C

Many of these should be available on ebay.

You could also send your existing one to Luna Industries in Tucson for rebuilding. They will rebuild it inspite of what your local guy said about it.

Tucson Alternator Parts & Starter Motor Repair, DC Motors - Luna Industries

Candidly I think the guy who said he couldn't or wouldn't rebuild the one you have just didn't want to do it or would have to order the parts necessary and didn't want the hassel. Before doing anything, I think I'd check with a couple more of the auto electric shops in your area.

Guest Silverghost

You really should not have any real problem finding another unit. Many cars used this gen unit for many years.

Does your generator drive anything off of it's rear endplate ?

Power steering perhaps?

Most of these GM/AC DELCO units are interchangable during this period with only a few styles made.

The most common is just a basic DELCO generator with no extra drive power-take-off on the rear endplate.

Some of the power steering equipped & AC cars used other special units.

Corvettes used a Tacometer gearbox drive on the rear endplate.

I know of only three basic units used in this time period.

I too find it very hard to believe that your old unit is not rebuildable.

What reason did he give you for this. ? What is so damaged & wrong with your old unit ?

The repair parts are readily found.

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards
You really should not have any real problem finding another unit. Many cars used this gen unit for many years.

Does your generator drive anything off of it's rear endplate ?

Power steering perhaps?

Most of these GM/AC DELCO units are interchangable during this period with only a few styles made.

The most common is just a basic DELCO generator with no extra drive power-take-off on the rear endplate.

Some of the power steering equipped & AC cars used other special units.

Corvettes used a Tacometer gearbox drive on the rear endplate.

I know of only three basic units used in this time period.

I too find it very hard to believe that your old unit is not rebuildable.

What reason did he give you for this. ? What is so damaged & wrong with your old unit ?

The repair parts are readily found.

About the only reason I personally can think of that would make an generator impossible to rebuild would be if the bearings had gotten so bad the armature collided with the stator so many times the stator was hopelessly damaged. But even that part of the generator should be obtainable somewhere. Like I commented I think the guy just didn't want to rebuild it for one reason or another. At least he could have been honest enough just to say "we don't do those anymore" or something like that.