temperature gauge, capillary tube, 30's Dodge engine

Guest Mark1934*

Guest Mark1934*

I rebuilt the engine in by 34 Dodge. It is a 6 cylinder, but I believe it is from 35 or later. Anyway, the capillary tube is missing from the engine to the gauge on the dash, so I need help. Does anyone have a source for a new gauge with the tube, or is there a different temperature sending unit (electric?) that I can use and then hide a modern temperature gauge under the dash, so I have something (to avoid overheating problems).

Please help.

Thanks.

I went to awfulzone and bought a Temp.Gauge for my 47 Chrysler I think it was 15.00 it fits in the head and works just fine I could have had my gauge repaired but they wanted 225.00 to fix it and I found a NOS for 300.00 the 15.00 one works just fine(the capillary tube was broken on mine)

Edited by RickBrinker (see edit history)

Guest Silverghost

There are a few folks around who can repair your old unit bu adding a new tube and bulb unit.

There are also others who can convert your old gauge to more modern electric style inside workings.

The cost for doing both however is not cheap !

I am pretty sure that inside that tube is Amonia or something such as that, I have always been under the impression that once broken its broken, I tried to repair one on Chevrolet but no luck.

Guest Silverghost

There is an auto instrument repair outfit that will add a new line and bulb filled with the proper expansion chemical.

It's a real specialty outfit.

Off the top of my head I believe their name is Nisonger Instrument Co. in NY.

I had them do very rare old Brittish gauges for me 20 years ago.

Very good job~

But very costy !

There are indeed others out there who do this type of repair service...

Do a Google web search !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)