Purchasing Inner Tubes

Guest Honolulu Dick

Guest Honolulu Dick

With reference to the closed thread pertaining to defective inner tubes, is it once again safe to buy new tubes? Is there info available that up-dates this subject? My situation requires that I replace all five tubes and I'm still recalling the horror stories told earlier about split tubes. Any and all thoughts, recommendations and/or advise is welcomed.

Guest junkyardcar

I'm in the same boat. I need all five tubes for my 1916 Db. When and where is it safe to purchase new tubes?

Welcome any info.

Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Silverghost

This is what we get for having things made cheaply in a foreign country like China & Mexico !

If we push the supplers to ony sell quality American brand tire tubes by refusing to buy foreign

made tubes this would no longer be an issue !

By the way~

There are no longer any bicycle tires & tubes Made in the USA !

BUY AMERICAN MADE~

YOUR JOB AND YOUR LIFE DEPEND ON IT !

Please dont take this the wrong way or as an attack, it is not intended but I love it when someone says buy American and it even makes me giggle more when that person owns a ....

1926 Springfield USA Rolls~Royce Silver Ghost Mahogany Boat-Tail Skiff

1927 Springfield USA Rolls~Royce Phantom I Brewster "Special Coupe' " Featured New York Hotel Salon Show Car

1960 Corvette Fuel Injected, Full Powered

1952 MGTD MK II Judson Supercharged

1991 Chevy 454 SS

Buy American made is a great idea but who can afford it. Dont get me wrong I 100% agree with the concept but again who can afford it?? Myself am a working stiff, I mean physical labor not a Doctor or a Lawyer and I am barely surviving even with the simple uncomplicated life that I have made for myself. There has to be changes to the entire system before the average Joe can afford to pay for Americans to return to building our own goods.

BTW where do you think the majority of the assembled pieces for that 1991 Chevy 454 were manufactured?.......Mekiko

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest junkyardcar

I think the problem is much bigger. I also need tubes for my 1917 Db, as I stated before. But I just purchased a new bicycle and guess what, the tubes are split. I don't know what to do.

Guest Honolulu Dick

Long, long ago, my fun jalopy was a Model T runabout. Experience taught me to keep an extra couple of inner tubes on hand. When a tube went bad on the Honolulu Lulu [stem separated where it joined the tube] I replaced it with a heavy duty tube used with the 30 X 3 1/2 Ford tire.

Some old timers [i am now one, unfortunately] regularly used smaller size tubes to reduce the chances of unwanted wrinkles forming between the tube and the tire. That Model T tube has been standing trouble for at least a decade now. Unlike the others, it rarely needs airing.

At this point, I'm half way considering going with the heavy duty tubes intended for use with Model Ts. Have yet to check with the T Club to learn if they are running tubes that are trouble free. Anyone know?

Your thoughts and/or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks for the use of your time.

Guest Silverghost

For your Info:

The two Rolls~Royces were designed and built 100% in America in Sprinfield Mass. by an American Company...

Rolls~Royce of America Inc.

Most collectors don't know this !

The Chevy's are USA built also.

454 Engine built in Tonowanda NY.

In fact the Big Block Chevy line was closed forever early this year!

My old MG...

That is Brittish-built I am afraid !

I was young and foolish 35 years ago...

One of the BIG reasons our US ecnonomy is in such sad shape has been the good manufacturing jobs going out of country.

Are any good old car inner-tubes Made in the USA anymore?

I do not know the answer~

But I suspect not !

We need to call or email the antique car tire suppliers that we all know and complain about this real safety issue.

Tell them you need far better quality inner-tubes !

The antique car tire supply Cos have been a great help and service to the car hobby for over 40 years !

They need our feedback !

I wish Coker, Universal, and the others would respond with the answer to your thread ? !

I need 6 new tires, flaps & tubes also.

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

I am well aware of where the Rolls were built or I guess the possabilitys, my allergist has a 29 and I did some research for him at his request.

Nothing wrong with a British built MG either in my opinion.

You are absalutely right with the blurb about our economy.

The only thing I find amusing is when people preach by American cars. I worked for Stinnet Pontiac GMC is Sarasota in the early 90s we would often see the trucks or the 454 Impalas ( I think it was Impala ) come in with bad motors because someone had abused them. No problem we had GM motors sitting there in these large black crates and on these crates were stickers that reminded us of where the motors were being built and sent from. I remember how much it pissed up off because back then it was common but not so common that you wouldnt hear people complain still.

We have cars that are assembled here in the US from parts being built and put togther in other countries, there is NO auto manuf. that I know of that builds its cars here from scratch, we are all ( most of us ) driving foreign pieces of crap and its because they will do it cheaper and the bottom line on anything is profit.

The reason these innertubes are splitting is because they are made by people that dont ever have to look us in the eye as we are lying in a hospital bed with broken bones that is obvious but I had to say it so that I wouldnt feel like I was hijacking this thread.

Guest Silverghost

My father always said to use plenty of Talc or baby powder on new tubes & inside tire carcasses & flaps before installing.

I don't know if this powder would help this tube spitting issue ?

The talc makes mounting them easier, also when you air them up the tubes will be more prone to slide into place where they need to be, I dont see how it will help with splitting as this is a manuf. flaw.

They apparently need to reinforce that valve stem area. I wonder how many people repair tubes, vulcanize the tubes I mean, prob. a lost art.