Buick of Canada was McLaughlin up to 1942

Guest P.M.O.

GM History should reflect Chevrolet takeover in 1918  

3 members have voted

1. 1. GM History should reflect Chevrolet takeover in 1918

• Chevrolet is GM
    • History should show GM holding Company started in 1908

McLaughlin Car Company became GM in 1918 after GM became a Car Company in 1918 . Chevrolet stock took control of GM holding Company in November of that year. McLaughlin was Bought out after this took place.

post-70388-143138315288_thumb.jpg

I guess I am confused at the question. Buick was started in Mi 1903 and the money-profits in the ensuing years from Buick was used to buy all of the different parts (Olds, Cadillac, Delco, etc) that became GM. GM was incorporated in the US in Sept 1908. My recollection is that Billy Durant made arrangements with McLaughlin to build Buicks in Canada. Over time the portfolio was expanded and formalized into GM of Canada in 1918.

Durant in 1908 had the Buick Car Company, He had a Meeting with McLaughlin because McLaughlin liked the Buick Motor for his car. Durant signed a contract with McLaughlin to supply the company for 15 years with motors and transitions. Durant went back to Mi and with the McLaughlin contract was, with the bank start a holding company called GM. The Bank and GM holding found Durant to aggressive in his going forward he was fired. Durant in 1911 worked with Chevrolet and started the Chevrolet Car Company in New York state (little car company) I have read. He then went to McLaughlin and in 1915 this document shows he started McLaughlin building Chevrolet's with McLaughlin bodies . Durant was trading Chevrolet stocks at 5 to 1 for GM holding Company stock with the intent of recovering what he started. Durant was aggressive and Chevrolet wanted a Big car in his name and after returning from a trip saw the Little Chevrolet and Durant informed him he had no clam to the name Chevrolet it was patented trade name . Chevrolet some how turned his stocks over to Durant. Durant in November of 1918 had traded enough stock the Chevrolet Car company owned GM Holding Company. November of that year Durant Bought out McLaughlin car company and this document shows it to be a GM plant from 1908. Durant made GM a Car company in November of 1918.

post-70388-143138315296_thumb.jpg

Here is some more information from Wikipedia. Colonel Robert Samuel McLaughlin, CC, ED, CD (September 8, 1871 - January 6, 1972) was an influential Canadian businessman and philanthropist. He started the McLaughlin Motor Car Co. in 1907, one of the first major automobile manufacturers in Canada, which evolved into General Motors of Canada.

Born near Bowmanville in the hamlet of Enniskillen, Ontario, the son of Robert McLaughlin, he started working in 1887 for his father's company, McLaughlin Carriage Works, at one time the largest manufacturer of horse-drawn buggies and sleighs in the British Empire.

With engines from William C. Durant of Buick he produced the McLaughlin-Buick Model F, establishing The McLaughlin Motor Car Company, incorporated on November 20, 1907. In 1908, its first full year of operation, it produced 154 cars. In 1910 he became a director of General Motors and sold his company in 1918 becoming president of General Motors of Canada, which continued to sell cars under the McLaughlin-Buick brand until 1942. He retired in 1945, but remained chairman of the board until his death.

He remained on the Board of General Motors until the early 1960s, and was coincidentally replaced by Royal Bank of Canada President Earle McLaughlin, his first cousin once removed. His brother, chemist J.J. McLaughlin, founded the Canada Dry company. After J.J.'s death in 1912, Sam also became President of this company briefly until it was sold about 1917.

McLaughlin was appointed Honorary Lieutenant Colonel of the 34th Ontario Regiment in 1921 and held this position until 1931, at which time he was appointed Honorary Colonel of same unit, later designated as The Ontario Regiment (RCAC), a reserve armoured regiment based in Oshawa. Affectionately known as "Colonel Sam," McLaughlin served as Honorary Colonel until 1967, earning the distinction as the longest continuously serving Honorary Colonel in the history of the Canadian Forces. In 1967 Sam McLaughlin was appointed a Companion of the Order of Canada.

Here is a pic of the 1908 model F.

post-48480-143138315356_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

Here is some more information from Wikipedia. Colonel Robert Samuel McLaughlin, CC, ED, CD (September 8, 1871 - January 6, 1972) was an influential Canadian businessman and philanthropist. He started the McLaughlin Motor Car Co. in 1907, one of the first major automobile manufacturers in Canada, which evolved into General Motors of Canada.

Born near Bowmanville in the hamlet of Enniskillen, Ontario, the son of Robert McLaughlin, he started working in 1887 for his father's company, McLaughlin Carriage Works, at one time the largest manufacturer of horse-drawn buggies and sleighs in the British Empire.

With engines from William C. Durant of Buick he produced the McLaughlin-Buick Model F, establishing The McLaughlin Motor Car Company, incorporated on November 20, 1907. In 1908, its first full year of operation, it produced 154 cars. In 1910 he became a director of General Motors and sold his company in 1918 becoming president of General Motors of Canada, which continued to sell cars under the McLaughlin-Buick brand until 1942. He retired in 1945, but remained chairman of the board until his death.

He remained on the Board of General Motors until the early 1960s, and was coincidentally replaced by Royal Bank of Canada President Earle McLaughlin, his first cousin once removed. His brother, chemist J.J. McLaughlin, founded the Canada Dry company. After J.J.'s death in 1912, Sam also became President of this company briefly until it was sold about 1917.

McLaughlin was appointed Honorary Lieutenant Colonel of the 34th Ontario Regiment in 1921 and held this position until 1931, at which time he was appointed Honorary Colonel of same unit, later designated as The Ontario Regiment (RCAC), a reserve armoured regiment based in Oshawa. Affectionately known as "Colonel Sam," McLaughlin served as Honorary Colonel until 1967, earning the distinction as the longest continuously serving Honorary Colonel in the history of the Canadian Forces. In 1967 Sam McLaughlin was appointed a Companion of the Order of Canada.

Here is a pic of the 1908 model F.

I in 1955 was Sam's paper boy, He wanted his Globe and mail paper at his door for 7 am he was last on my route of 267. in 57 I was in the RCN and started work in GM Canada ,Oshawa plant in 1961 .John

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear John:

A little side note to your dates about Col. Sam, which are correct.

When he negotiated the sale to GM in 1918, one of the conditions was that ALL McLaughlin employees got their McLaughlin service years counted as GM service years. This, of course, includes Col. Sam, but he wasn't the most senior employee, as another employee had 48 years then, and another 10 or so were ahead of Col. Sam.

However, by late 1971, when Col. Sam retired from the board of GM of Canada, he had become the longest serving GM employee ANYWHERE EVER. The answer, according to my computations, is: 83 years, 5 months, and 6 days!!!!

He might be the longest serving employee of any company.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest P.M.O.

David I did not know that,Were you aware of the Cadillacs and LaSalles built in Canada. Chevrolets Cars and trucks.?David how would Sam have less than any others if GM Car Company started in 1918 and not 1908? but as you can See McLaughlin Car Company never was if this Build document stands as GM of Canada in 1908.

Edited by P.M.O.
Question not noted (see edit history)

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear PMO:

It's in how Col. Sam negotiated the sale agreement. Note that I said that ALL Mclaughlin employees got credit for ALL their years with McLaughlin. That goes back to, and INCLUDES all service with McLaughlin Carraige Co., which was started bt Col. Sam's father in 1871.

Col. Sam joined McLaughlin Carrage in 1887, so by 1971, he has 83 years of service. At the time of the sale in 1918 (49%) and 1921 (the balance), there was a patternmaker who had joined McLaughlin Carriage in 1871 still working there, thus he has 48 years service, compared to Col. Sam's 31years.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest P.M.O.

David I agree The sale or agreement are in Question. The fact that Durant had as we know an agreement with McLaughlin for 15 years to purchase drive train from Buick Engine Company. Buick Oil Company and Buick Car Company were not involved ? General Motors Holding Company kicked Durant out in 1910. McLaughlin was working with Durant because he owned Buick ?Durant purchase of Buick is Too in question was that after his contract with McLaughlin? Durant and Chevrolet had an agreement in 1911 to build Chevrolet cars, Durant in 1915 had McLaughlin build Chevrolet's. Durant patented the Chevrolet name in Canada as well as the USA and told Chevrolet. Chevrolet told Durant he wanted out and his shares of Chevrolet ended up with Durant. This agreement is too in Question? Durant was buying GM shares up 5 Chevrolet to 1 GM and in 1918 took control of GM, Chevrolet owned GM? This was in November of 1918, Durant now felt GM Car Company was to be. He now returns to Canada and McLaughlin car Company becomes GM of Canada back to 1908? This has some kind of mi story to it. Holden in Australia was GM Holden at one time ,why is GM Canada not McLaughlin Car Company as it started out? GM has in my opinion over the years been able to hold on because of GM Canada.

• 3 months later...

Web site ,(General Motors in Canada: The early Years to 1919) very interesting to all as it has the McLaughlin Brothers and Durant getting together to take GM over. This is an American( Hemmings site), I have no Idea if in fact the information has any validation .Please forgive me if it is not the best.

David O. Hayward a Professor in the Imperial Collage of Science , Technology and Medicine, London University.

This was not printed in any GM print Shop or compiled by the Company of GM. Durant and the McLaughlin Brothers have Chevrolet Books that do not show many of the findings. This Professor has written about.

Edited by P.M.O.
add Hemmings and the writer (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Dear PMO:

It's in how Col. Sam negotiated the sale agreement. Note that I said that ALL McLaughlin employees got credit for ALL their years with McLaughlin. That goes back to, and INCLUDES all service with McLaughlin Carriage Co., which was started bt Col. Sam's father in 1871.

Col. Sam joined McLaughlin Carrage in 1887, so by 1971, he has 83 years of service. At the time of the sale in 1918 (49%) and 1921 (the balance), there was a patternmaker who had joined McLaughlin Carriage in 1871 still working there, thus he has 48 years service, compared to Col. Sam's 31years.

Regards, Dave Corbin

David my Quote just prior would not make McLaughlin an owner of General Motors but he states he was there with Durant.

This begs to Question how much of GM did McLaughlin Own from the start, did he indeed fold the McLaughlin Company in to General Motors.

David Hayward and Heather Robertson have both been in contact with me on Heathers book .

Edited by P.M.O.
Information (see edit history)