Update 89 , 16 valve

Guest MB91560

Update time, I have cleaned all the connectors, plugs and grounds under the hood. r&r the radator roded and cleaned . I painted it with black radator paint. I am going to replace all the fuesible links with ciruit breakers of same amperage. I now have the engine at TDC and will look at the Ignition rotor to see if it may be in 180 out. I r&r the spark plugs and there is no gas on them. I have order a new 16 valve fuel pressure regulator . The one in this car only go up to 45 psi in about 2 seconds and when shout off go down to 15 psi . in about 3 seconde. The TC has a new fuel pump , put in by the man I got the car from . But I do not know if it is the right one . I have all the lights inside and out working . The radio and antenna operate and function right . I have removed all 4 wheels and the brake disc and pads looks New . I will replace the Accumulator when I renew the brake fluid . I do not have a key for the tire cover or trunk and the trunk lock has been remove before I got the TC. All the windows and door locks work good. ???? about Instrument cluster and gauges when I turn the key the gauges react , I will look into it after I get the TC to run. Can a fuel pressure Dampener go bad ? Can some one tell how to test fuel injectors ? Thanks Bob:rolleyes:

Edited by MB91560 (see edit history)

I would not suspect your injectors in this scenario but I WOULD be suspicious of the last owners fuel pump choices. You are only getting 45PSI when you crank the car over but it still does not fire right? Or are you just getting 45 when you tourn the key to 'run'? It's only a 2 second pulse of 12V to the pump if it DOES NOT see rotation of the motor (thru the HEP switch in the distrib). Try jumping 12V to the + side of the coil and check pressure again, now restrict/block the fuel return line after the regulator (vice grips and shop towel to occlude the line) this should show you the max pressure the pump is capable of. That will tell you if the pump is willing but the regulator/dampner is not. I've only seen 1 or 2 dampners go bad in all my years with 2.2 turbo motors but dozens of pumps due to various reasons.

You are checking cam timing too right? Not just ignition timing...

Alan