turn signal lever broke...

Guest snowmaninwhite

Guest snowmaninwhite

car is a 1960 chrysler windsor, this happened a few years ago, but im just now going to try and fix it, mainly because im better with cars now than i was when it happened. the control unit, i dont know what its called, if someone does please let me know, itd be appreciated, is located in the dash, under the shifter buttons, and the lever broke, im guessing from old age alot of use. now my question is, does anyone know how to take that unit out?

On the 1960-1962 Chrysler, to remove the signal switch first remove the chrome signal knob on the end of the lever ( unless its already broken off) then remove the chrome bezel around the push buttons ( 4 Philips Screws holding it on). Then you will see the turn signal switch is held in under the push buttons by two small studs with hex nuts on the ends facing you. Undo the nuts, put them in a baggie. Then you must reach up under the dash board and get your hand onto the signal switch from behind and pull it backwards and then down and out, under the dash board. The wiring from it is about 6 inches long with a connector on it that has to be unplugged from the other end. These switches regularly come up on Ebay, I have a 60 Chrysler myself that needs the switch replaced, and have a new one ready to go, just have to find the time to do it. If you don't have an Ebay Account, you may be able to get one from John Fowlie, at Big-M Automotive in Williams CA. Big M Automotive He has a wrecking yard full of 50s and early 60s cars with a huge amount of Chrysler Products . I would also recommend you join the Forward Look Discussion Forum, http://www.forwardlook.net/forums which is specifically for 55-61 Chrysler Products.

Guest snowmaninwhite

thanks for the links and information... my switch is fine, its just that my lever for it broke where it connects to the switch, so i wanna pull the switch out so i can make a new lever, i also looked at the pics of your car and that is a beautiful car that you have, im jealous!!!

Guest snowmaninwhite

ok, those two nuts just removed my shifter, i think the switch is held in place by two screws... im just gonna say screw having directionals, ive been without them for awhile already. but thanks anyway.

Also, these switches are electro-magnetic, in case you didn't know. When you pull the lever to the left or right, it holds in that position by the electro-magnet. When you make the turn there is another canceling switch on the lower part of the steering column above the brake pedal- so that when the column turns back to centre as you complete the turn, it cuts off power to the electro-magnet and thus releases the lever to go back to the centre position. On my switch, I've already replaced the column canceling switch but still have issues with the actual main switch. It stays locked over to the right even when there is no power to it and won't cancel - even with the new canceling switch - very strange - and I am very curious to know why. So I do have working signals, but I have to manually cancel a right turn.

Guest snowmaninwhite

i had that same issue with the manual cancel on the right turn when i still had a lever for my signals...but mine is set up to where its held in by two screws from the back of the dash, i dont have two little lock nuts with studs from the back, my shifter is like that, i can try to take a picture of it to prove it.

Guest snowmaninwhite

yea, i mean, when i pulled the cover off the shifter i saw two lock nuts and than i saw two screws from behind, i even almost got stuck looking behind the dash just to see two screws, felt where they went and it was for the signal switch, i dont know if im just unlucky and got screws while everyone else got the studs and nuts, or what.

Well, I just pulled my own bezel off, and sure enough, my switch is held in by two sheet metal screws. The screw on the left side is in from front, the right side from rear. The left side one is a slot head rather than Philips, so I am sure originally it would have been a Phillips from the rear... who knows what manner of horrible things have been done to the switch......but I'm not pulling it out today. The replacement switch I have is from a 61 Newport, so I guess they did an improvement that year with studs and nuts for attachment.

Guest snowmaninwhite

well i wish mine had that nice improvement on my switch, or at least the screws be in front and not behind the dash, its just a PITA just to wedge myself up far enough under just to see anything

Guest snowmaninwhite

i have a few pictures, my car and no where as clean as yours tho... and its a four dour sedan, ill post the pictures when i find them

Guest snowmaninwhite

a few pics of it, and yes that is the batman symbol, everyone who knew me in highschool dubbed it the batmobile, so i had to.

post-69290-143138290793_thumb.jpg

post-69290-143138290796_thumb.jpg

post-69290-143138290802_thumb.jpg

post-69290-143138290808_thumb.jpg

Guest snowmaninwhite

no problem, i thought i had more but thats all i got, and im sure i will, it was the first car i ever bought, and im hopin on keeping it for along time to come.