Interior Question

Guest Maisie

Guest Maisie

How do you remove the center console?

My 1991 V6 has the seat controls there and

the passenger's side switch is loose.

Is there a better way to fix it than removing the console?

Thanks

Maisie

Guest My TC Toy

Maisie, I am not sure you really want to know! If you look back at other threads about two years ago it is fully detailed.

A short answer is, remove the following: the two front seats and disconnect the wiring, the lower console trim (H section), the two kick panels on either side of the console and the ones closer to the dash. You will have to search out the fastening screws below the comsole and then carefully raise the console while cutting the plastic straps that secure the wiring harness..

There are then a couple of procedures for repairing the seat button attachments.

Good luck and bye the way, welcome to the thread.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
Guest george w

This is truly a PITA job, but it's the only way to do it right. It really only takes a few minutes on each side to take the seats out. If this is the first time the console has been opened up then you're likely to find a big, black, gooey piece of foam rubber in there that was probably put inside as a sound deadener. You'll need to remove this and toss it.

You're sure to find that the switch retaining screws have most likely broken out of the plastic retaining bosses. It seems that these screws were a bit too large in diameter for the fragile plastic bosses. If you're lucky you be able to replace these short screws with some longer sheet metal screws that are slightly thinner in diameter. Hopefully there will be enough of a plastic stub left that the new screw can grab on to. I found suitable length stainless steel screws with a proper phillips head in the hardware section of the local Home Depot.

Just make sure that the screws are the right length and don't overtighten them. Snug is just fine. Put things back together and don't put too much pressure on the switches when making your seat adjustments.