Starter Kill??

Guest donny612

Guest donny612

I have a '90 white/black/black and it has some sort of electronic "key" that looks like a small circuit board with a key ring hanger on it and plugs into a recepticle at the bottom edge of the dash to the right of the steering column. Is this something that they all have? Or was this something installed by the dealer? Frankly I don't use it very often for fear of "wearing it out" and not being able to start the car at some point.

Also I'm planning to install another aftermarket alarm system and would like to know if this kill device can be removed?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Guest pizzaman7880

Don

I am fairly sure it is an anti theft device that the dealer installed. I had one in a dodge truck I bought many years ago. Not sure how to remove it. It is NOT standard equipment

Guest My TC Toy

Don, If I remember correctly, when I removed my alarm system, there was one original wire cut and spliced into the alarm box. There is no real problem in removing it. It was a simple matter of slowly removing each wire, one at a time, and taping securely. The original cut wire ends were side by side and it is easy to confirm the colour coding. Again splice them together and solder.

Normally an alarm system does not change (cut) any existing car wiring, at least the ones I am familiar with. Bulldog makes on that can be installed in one minute and is operated by a key fob. There is no reason to spend a lot of money on a system, I used the Bulldog system on a car a few years ago and found it worked quite well.

Good luck,

Bob

PS: There is a pair of wires that go out to the front of the car, these are the only ones that can cause any problem. All the rest are under the dash.

Bob

Edited by My TC Toy
add info (see edit history)