1955 Buick-Parts compatibility

Guest British Buick

Guest British Buick

Hi Folks. I've just joined the Forum and have some questions. I live in London, England and recently bought a 1955 Buick Century Riviera four door hardtop.

Firstly, my driver's door manual window winding mechanism slips when winding the glass up. It doesn't seem to slip on the way down. I've seen parts listed for 1955 Chevys on e-bay, which begs the question can I use parts from other GM cars of the same year? Would a winder from, say, a 1955 Chevy or Pontiac fit my Buick door. Do they differ from body style to body style?

Similarly, the ratchet on the foot operated parking brake doesn't catch. If it cannot be repaired when I've investigated further can one from another car be fitted, or even from a Special or Roadmaster? Or am I stuck with finding one from a '55 Century?

Secondly, should the rear window surround have a stainless cover? Mine just has a rubber seal, which is getting very hard and crusty. It also appears to let in water, so at some point I'll have to replace it. I can post pictures if necessary.

Lastly, the speedometer in my car "swings" badly. It has the circular cutout window and shows a red disc from behind rather than a needle on the top. Are they easy to find secondhand or should I find someone in the UK who might be able to refurbish mine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to the forum.

I assume the window mechanism you are talking about is the handle. If it is stripped, you will need to buy a new one, they are Buick only. It is possible that the clip that holds it on is missing or incorrectly placed, thus making the slippage feeling.

There isn't a ratchet on the parking brake, make sure the brake cable at the rear of the torque tube is attached and adjusted properly.

Yes the rear window is supposed to have stainless surrounding it.

And lastly, the speedo is most likely broken. Have it fixed before it snaps your speedo cable.

eBay is going to be your friend. First, buy a shop manual if you don't have one. Then ask away here on the forum, people here can help with tips and often times parts as well.

Good luck

Guest British Buick

Hi Mike.

Thank you for the information. The window winder appears to slip inside the door, not on the spindle, but if I grip the top of the frame and lift it as I turn the handle, it rises without a problem and seems to stay firm. There's no tendency for it to slip down again. Winding it down is without drama and works as it should. It will be interesting to see if anyone on the forum can confirm that other GM cars use the same mechanism. Chevy ones seem to come up on e-bay all the time. The chromed window frames on the car are peeling badly. I'll replace them if I get the chance.

I wondered about the stainless rear window trim. It looks odd with just the rubber. I'll have to start looking. Maybe a forum member might have some I can buy. I'll post a thread in due course. Again, perhaps the Chevy hardtops have the same profile. Anyone know? I presume that Steele is the best place for a new window rubber?

If there's no ratchet on the parking brake what are you releasing when you pull the release knob on the dashboard? I presumed that you would be unlatching a rachet. There was one on e-Bay recently which seems to have a curved piece that I presumed was the ratchet mechanism. I probably should have bought it anyway.

The speedo works. It's just that it's not precise and swings back and forth. Are they easy to source in the States? Can you recommend a supplier or dismantler I could contact? Thanks for your patience. Richard

The parking brake is a smooth curved rod that is held in place by spring tension. You should be able to look and see what I mean. There is very little that can go wrong on the pedal itself.

Not sure about the window problem.

Even if you buy a new speedo, there is no guarantee that it will work. The jumping needle you are talking about is the interior gear slipping. It is going to bind soon and pop your cable. If you are going to drive it you actually may want to disconnect the cable at the back of the speedo head right now