anyway of repairing rear bump strips

First off are we talking about a gap or is the rubber nerf strip(s) hanging off,if not they soon will be. Ths steel fasteners are rotted out inside the rubber .You will need black rtv silicone.

first mask off the perimiter around the rubber strips to protect from silicone squeeze out and before you glue do the same to the outside edges of the rubber strips. Clean and lightly sand the backside contact surface or the rubber,I like naptha but you can also use acetone.Clean the metal surface as well and wire brush loose rust from the rotten mounting stud and coat with permatex or other rust converter liquid and let set overnite.

Spread thin coat of silicone on the cleaned rubber strips and tape the strips on using quality clear packing tape or the fiber type packing tape.use clean hands and lots of pressure so as to take advantage of the elastic quality of the tape.you could also use gasket adhesive or contact cement but silicone has a longer working time and is easier to clean up the residue when still soft.I like the blue masking tape.

I personally would try to use clamps and blocking to hold the rubber down while glue sets but ive done it both ways with good results and clamps are a PIA in akward situations.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.

Mark

Guest george w

It's quite chore getting the rubber strips off the bumper correctly. You really should pull the bumper and try to unscrew or drill out all the retaining bolts that attach the rubber strips. It's amazing how complex these bumpers are. So many parts !

Has anyone tried using the 3M double sided trim tape to hold the rubber in place ? Another possibility, though I haven't tried it, is to Dremel out the rusted threaded inserts and replace them with stainless steel nuts bonded into the strip with windsheild urethane adhesive. Whatever you do try not to damage the face of the rubber. At some point someone will figure out a way to refurbish these.