Inconsistant Starting Problem

Guest pizzaman7880

Guest pizzaman7880

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my 91 3.0L. I have had this car for over 8 years and I have had this problem since day 1. I haven't driven it much over the years so it really wasn't a big concern. But now that I am retired I have time to work on both of them and finally enjoy them. So that is the brief history -- here is the problem and what I have done so far.

Frequently when I attempt to start it it will crank and try to start but it just won't catch. Usually it will start on about the third or fourth try. But it is embarrassing to sit in a parking lot and have everyone looking at you. Then there are times when it starts instantly.

I have cleaned the throttle body several times but today I removed it and gave it a really good cleaning. I could not remove the AIS motor but I did clean it in the body. Yesterday I found a bad vacuum line and replaced that. It was for the vapor canister. I cleaned all of the electrical connectors (MAP, Canister Purge Solenoid, TPS and more). I also cleaned the distributer cap and rotor.

This is a California Emission car and I have checked the EGR and other components of the emission system. The book says I would get an engine check light if there were something wrong with the emission system. I have tried to read the codes (key on off on off on off) but I just don't have any confidence of what I am seeing. I am considering buying a OBD 1/2 to help me read codes but I feel I will fork out the $199.00 and see no codes.

By the way, once started it runs beautiful both on the highway and in stop and go. Occasionally it will have a rough idle for just a short time.

Well, that's it. So, any help, any suggestions, I have searched this site and have can't find anything similar to what I am experiencing.

Guest BarelyFit

Don you are a hop skip and a jump from Hemi's shop. Perhaps a phone call and a short drive to 1581 Los Angels Ave Saticoy CA. 805-216-9257

Guest pizzaman7880

A visit to Hemi's is a definate option but I had hope and still do that someone could at least aim me in the right direction. Should I be looking at the fuel injection system or the ignition system. I also have a quest for knowledge.

I make two trips up to your area each year (daughter lives in Live Oak) Have you ever been to the salvage yard in Rancho Cordova? I heard they have a TC or two.

Guest BarelyFit

I can offer you little. My diagnostic skills are sub-par. I am a part changer, and barely competent at that. If you have not obtained a manual yet; that would be a first step. It is the grail of knowledge.

Live Oak was a stomping ground in my younger days. I lived in Marysville and had several friends in those parts.

I have been to Rancho Cpb 916-685100 to get a few parts. They both have been hit pretty hard and I know the driver window is gone from one of them. Another TC owner here John W was making regular visits there, he is even known as TC John at that parts yard.

There will be others much more knowledgeable chiming in here to help you. It is a very good place for advice as you may well know.

Good luck

Put me on the list of 'part changers' too:o 89 TC 16V car, new to me in the last 30 days so history very unknown. Starts, runs roughly, and dies.:( So I threw a new fuel pump at it on Friday (with some fuel lines because the original ones were SCARY!:eek:) Now it starts, rouns rough and dies:o I think I will throw some ignition parts at it next;)

Alan

Guest pizzaman7880

Alan

That is exactly what I want to avoid. I just don't have the resources available to me to just throw money at it. I do have a service manual and I have read the Fuel injection chapters several times. I am now brain dead. When you look at the component descriptions and what they do it could be any one of the relays, solenoids or valves. Not to mention vacuum stuff. Tomorrow it will work just fine.

Guest John W

Thanks Barely Fit, yes I have spent a lot of time removing parts fro the TC's in the wrecking year in Rancho. They had 5 car and are now done to four. Let me know what you are looking for John W or as I am know know "TC JOHN"

Guest pizzaman7880

The optimist that I am, I went out with hope that this morning Yellow would just start right up. ----- it didn't. Mom always told me to expect the worst and I wouldn't be disappointed. I should have taken her advice.

Last night I re-read the Fuel Injection section of the manual. I had convinced my self that if it failed to start this morning it had to be the Fuel Pressure Regulator. To gain access to it, I had to remove the MAP sensor. Two screws. No problem. Then I see it, Not the Fuel Pressure Regulator but one of the two fuel lines leaking. Just a steady drip. (remember these are original parts). Holly Crap, it can't be this simple. So down to my NAPA store, one foot of 1/4 and one foot of 5/16 hose and four new clamps and an hour later ------ Yellow starts up consistantly. No problems at all!

So thanks for your support, suggestions and help. I might suggest that if your fuel lines are old, take a look at them and replace them. I was lucky Yellow wasn't a crispy cream.

John W. I need some plastic trim pieces (caps)for the SS. Left and right tonnau and drivers side short trim piece forward cap and the plastic covers for ginger seatbelts (the ones at the floor). Let me know if you see any of these.

Thanks to all