Need Help Regarding New Tires for '39 LZ

Guest friscozephyr

Guest friscozephyr

The tires I have on my '39 LZ sedan are probably over 25 years old. Although cosmetically they are in good shape and have tubes that are only about three years old I think its time to get a new set.

The existing tires are Lester 700-16, six ply polyester with a 4-1/2 whitewall. I really like the "gangster" whitewalls. Lester tires is now owned by Universal Tire company. I looked at the Cocker tires which makes a reproduction Firestone tire but only has a 4" whitewall.

Any suggestions on purchasing either a Universal/Lester tire or the Cocker/Firestone tire. I want to make sure I am safe driving.

Thanks,

Guest B1rdman

here is the answer that we used in the 50s

i am sure will not, just wanted to see if it was still available

ebay 180531111526

gene

I just replaced the 15" radial tires that were on my 1941 Continental with a set of Coker's Firestone 7.00-16 whitewalls. I think that these cars originally came with Firestone tires. The 4" whitewalls look just fine to me. I was cinsidering getting radials, but this car will never be a daily driver so the "correct" original tires suit me just fine.

Several years ago, I put L78-15 radials on my 1947 Continental and used it as a daily driver for some 10 years. It's a modified car with a 1957 Lincoln driveline and will never be a "show" car again! I still have the '47, but it's been "retired" since 1997.

post-31768-143138254669_thumb.jpg

post-31768-143138254672_thumb.jpg