olds mounting education needed

Guest 54ing

Guest 54ing

I'm just learning here....but need some information.

my 54 has a later 394 and T-10 trans. the bellhousing mounts were changed to match the T10. I assume the front mount is still '54.

If TEMPORARILY going to a SBC and automatic....how does the front mount adapt to the engine? if not, what changes?

When the 394 goes back in with an auto trans (TH400), what trans mounts need to be changed? sources?

thanks

Guest Bob Call

SBC except for 55-56 have mounts on the side of the block that connect to brackets on the frame rails and then the rear mount is on a crossmember under the trans tail shaft housing. I can't see all of the work needed to temporarily install a SBC. Since you already have the front motor mount for the 394 you only need to fab a bracket and/or crossmember for the TH400 tail shaft housing mount pad. Get your TH400, adapter and mount, get the machine shop lined up and then pull the 394, have if rebuilt, put it back in and fab the trans mount crossmember. You may need a custom drive shaft.

You may want to send a PM to Joe Padavano who seems to be The Olds expert on this forum.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)