1923 Buick Model 44-6 convertible top

Guest pssmls

Guest pssmls

I am to the point on my rebuild that I need assistance on purchasing the top material for my 23 Buick Roadster Convertible. My son has made new bows to replace those that were in pieces. Is there someone who custom makes the fabric for this veh? Is there a guide which shows how to install the bows and fabric?

One other small problem - I took my windshield apart to have safety glass installed in place of the original windshield glass. We needed to remove the old glass to use as a pattern for the new glass. We told the shop not to take off the male threaded snap parts (6 0f them). When we picked up the windshield assembly, they had removed them and they were in a plastic bag. One of them is taller and wider than the other 5, although they all have the same size thread. We do not know where the larger one goes. From photos we have, it appears it may go on the top corner passenger side, but we're not sure.

I would appreciate any assistance with the above questions. I am still hoping to have the veh ready for the July 4th weekend for the Logan, Utah car show.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me in the past. Look forward to hearing from some of you.

Paul Spencer Searcy

pss_mls@yahoo.com

Paul, I looked and looked for almost two years. Here are no pre-made tops for our cars, all are hand built.

My trimmer, Dave Coco (trimacar on this forum) used Stayfast fabric. I used a black outside, black inside combo. You will need to find someone who has done one or two of these type of cars. It is an art to make one correctly. Since they are all individually made, it does not come cheap. Do you still have the windows from your old top?

I think that it would be OK for you to contact Dave for his thoughts and advice. He also watches this forum so may chime in also. Dave also did most of the leather work of my interior and fixed many mistakes by previous trimmers. He is a master.

Re the larger fastener. What style do you have? The lift-the-dot post type? That is what I have. The only reason to have a larger or taller post/male end is the thickness of material. On my car they were all the same size on the windshield. Where I have two covers meet, then I have longer posts (side curtains).

Here are a couple of pics of my completed top.

Post some pics of your car, would love to see them.

post-48480-143138228466_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138228484_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138228499_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138228514_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138228528_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138228543_thumb.jpg

I'll take credit for the top. The interior was partly done by someone else, there are a few wrinkles that I won't take credit for! John has a beautiful car, nicely finished, I can only assume the McLaughlin Buick had fancier things than its American counterpart, as it has a beautiful dash etc.

For a top such as this, it will take 50 to 70 hours of labor, if the trimmer is taking his time to do it correctly. So, you can pick an hourly charge and figure estimated labor. It will take 10 to yards of fabric (or more, depending on whether you do side curtains and such), plus bowdrill, so just materials will be $700 or more. Most important? Make sure top bows are in proper positions, all top irons and bows line up correctly side to side, and make sure that top pads along each side are properly padded (with cotton, don't use foam). If these pads aren't correct, the top will end up looking like the ribcage of a starved horse.

The rest is just fitting and sewing and trimming. The rear window assembly might test your cussword vocabulary.

If I can answer any questions will be glad to.

Guest WEB 38

I Checked the windshield on my 20 and it has all short snap studs. The longer ones are used for where the side curtains overlap and and both go on the same stud, these are used on the top rails on mine. Yes the top will have to be taylor made it will be a big help if you have the old one to use as a pattern. Hope this helps. Bill WEB 38

Guest Roger_Roy
top pads along each side are properly padded (with cotton, don't use foam). If these pads aren't correct, the top will end up looking like the ribcage of a starved horse.

If I can answer any questions will be glad to.

heres one :) what are the "top pads" do you have a photo?

Thanks

Roger

the top pads are the two padded fabric pieces that run along each top edge side of the bows, under the top material itself. These pads give the top shape, and support the top off the bows, so that the bows themselves don't poke the top with a hard shape.

I'll look and see if I have a picture. I hope this explanation helps.