1937 Pontiac generator/alignment opinions please

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

First, a little back-ground. I bought a 1937 Pontiac, and was told that the engine was rebuilt among other things, but the starter and generator were OK, so the originals were left as they were. I made an observation that the pulley for the generator was not quite lining up with the rest of the pulleys. (short by about 1/2") When I would go to tighten up the belt, the generator would go a bit cock-eyed, causing the belt to frey a bit on the edges when the engine would run.

Today, here's what I did. I removed the generator, and used some de-greaser on a paint brush to remove the cake'd on grease/oil. When I did this, I exposed the part number plate, which is the correct part number for the year. When I went to re-install the generator, I had to install 2 washers to serve as spacers between the lower generator mounting tab and the engine mount, bringing the generator forward by about 1/2". On the lower back of the generator, there is another mounting "tab" that connects to a small angle-iron piece that is mounted also to the engine. At the point where the small "angle-iron" mounts to the engine, I had to install 2 more washers to serve as spacers, bringing the mount up from the engine to prevent the generator from going "cock-eyed" when the belt is tightened. All seems to be working OK right now, and there is no play in the generator, and the pulley of the generator lines up pretty close to the rest of the pulleys.

OK, now I have some questions I need opinions on. First, will the changes I made cause any problems down the road? Second, (which is most important one).......What the heck is going on???? I shouldn't have to install any spacers to this generator, should I? Something is not adding up. The man I bought the car from told me that they rebuilt the original 1937 engine, but I was also told that they had a 1940 Pontiac that they were using as a parts car. Do you think that maybe this engine is NOT the correct engine for the car? The waterpump was replaced with one from Kanter, and that lines up with the engine pulley, so that couldn't be the problem. What am I missing? Also, I see the ser# that is on the engine. Will this number tell me the date in which the motor was manufactured? If so, where would I go to look this number up?

Sorry guys, I have so many questions. This is what happens when a beginner gets into the hobby. I would greatly appreciate any input that you may have on this. Either facts or opinions are really needed.

Thank you!

Guest windjamer

:)I guess in nearly 50 years of working on cars for a liveing I must have changed hundreds of generators and alternators.Eather to move it to get at something else or replace it with new. Many had a spacer for alignment right from the fac. Some got lost and like you I used flat washers to shim it. If it lines up and the belt runs true I say good job. If you take something apart and put it back and it works like it should, good job. especially if you dont have any (pocket parts) left over:D

Guest bofusmosby

Thanks guys for the feed-back. My biggest concern is the small angle-iron piece that is used for the back of the generator. One of the holes is elongated, but doesn't look to have been made that way. It looks like it has been worn into it over the years. That piece is the only actual bracket for the generator. The front bracket is just a hole in the flange of the block.

Well, it just struck me of being funny that it was like I had to improvise to adapt the generator to work on this engine. It never occured to me that the generator may have originally had a spacer from the beginning. I guess thats my own inexperience shinning through.