30's Windshield Install Question?

Guest DarkCherryS10

Guest DarkCherryS10

I have a 35 mopar and was wondering about the windshield. I need a filler strip that goes between the glass itself, and the chrome windshield frame. Steele Rubber has two different kinds and two different thicknesses. I'm not sure which to get or which thickness. I have the windshield frame but no weatherstripping inside to figure out what thickness. Does anyone know? Also how much of it do you think I would need? I can measure the frame for length too but figured I'd ask here.

First strip:

Filler strip, sash channel. For all applications fitting glass to sash channel, not requiring weatherlip type of filler. Check your old filler strip to find thickness needed. This is the highest quality linen back, rubber cork composition for a professional job on swingout windshields, door vent windows and convertible side windows having metal frames, as well as many side or door windows on closed bodies. Please specify thickness as this item is NOT RETURNABLE.

70111457.gif

70-1114-57...1/32" thick..$ 2.40/ft.

70-1115-57...1/16" thick..$ 2.80/ft.

Second strip:

Filler strip, sash channel. Similar in useage to our 70-1114-57 and 70-1115-57 type filler, but constructed of a rubber-like polymer designed for setting glass in a metal sash channel. This item is not returnable except for quality assurance issues. Order only by the foot.

70216957.gif

70-2169-57...1/32" thick..$ 2.50/ft.

70-2170-57...1/16" thick..$ 2.60/ft.

Guest martylum

Hi-Based on my experience I'd buy some of both thickness (1/16 and 1/32") in the linen of sufficient length to go all the way round the glass. You won't know how much thickness to use until you try to install the glass in the metal channel. Sometimes you'll need to use some of both thickness to get a good fit. Back in the 50s when I was young and worked a bit at a glass shop, I found they stocked the linen-cork filler trip only.

The glass should be seated in the channel so it is tight and will need to be driven on with a rubber mallet (carefully)

Some people seat the glass with a modern urethane sealer but I've not tried this approach as it might be very difficult to remove due to the toughness of the urethane once it sets up.

You trim the excess filler with a razor blade.

Martin Lum