'16 overland additional info

I have a model 82 4 cylinder. I was able to get it started, but it only runs on one cylinder (3rd from front), and with the ignition wire connected to what I believe is the incorrect magneto post. The engine has been completely rebuilt (I believe in 1965), but i do not believe it has been driven for over 25 years. When it was last driven, it was in top condition. My grandfather, Wayne Holland, often bragged that it idled at 50 rpm. It has been ignored since it was last driven, until last june. I have added fresh gas (ethanol free) , replaced the battery, and changed the oil (straight 30) twice before I attempted to start it, and once after I got it started. I have also replaced the spark plugs and wires. confused.gif" border="0

Scotty,<BR>I'm not familiar with 4 cyl overlands. I have some thoughts which are applicable to most engines with magneto ignition. The fact that it will run on one cylinder indicates that there is fuel, compression, and spark at that cylinder at least. Since you have changed plug wires it may be possible that they are not connected in the engine firing order. That should be easy to check. Make sure you have spark to all four sparkplugs.Hold a screwdriver against the base of the plug and bring the shaft close to the connector at the plug. If you have spark at the nonfiring cylinders then there must be either a lack of compression of fuel to the affected cylinders. I'm assuming from your comments the engine sat for a long period. The valves could be sticking open. There could be an intake manifold leak at the affected cylinders. <BR>If there is no spark at the nonfiring cylinders then you will need to check backwards from plug to magneto to be sure an electrical path exists. Be sure to do this for the pathway in the "distributor Cap" portion of the mag. The mag should provide a hot blue spark. If it yellow and weak then you have magneto problems, such as weak condenser, shorted primary or secondary wiring, or high resistance within the circuit. It is possible the point gap is incorrect and the breaker contacts for each cyl are worn. <BR>Hope the above gives you some ideas of where to check. Usually the cause is something simple but not always. You might try <A HREF="http://www.wokr.com" TARGET=_blank>www.wokr.com</A> to reach the Willys, Overland,Knight Registry. Members receive a newsletter and a magazine. Articles in these give troubleshooting info. They also have a library.<BR>Bill<BR>.