Front end rebuild

Guest stephenson1937

Guest stephenson1937

I just picked up a deluxe king pin type front end kit for my 37 Special and noticed there is a slight difference in the inner shaft kit. The new ones have a cap on each end with a grease fitting in the end and the old ones screw into the A-frame arms with a grease fitting in the end. Does anyone have any information that would help in how these new ones would fit?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stephenson1937

Thank you for responding Jeff. I'm not real proficient at getting images on the forum. I have uploaded them to my account if you would like to take a look.

Thanks again

Larry

I see what you mean. Your a-arms will not accomodate bushings! The parts I replaced on mine ('38) looked just like the new part in your picture. Could this be a difference between the '37 and '38? (don't really think so) Or, maybe a running change in the '37 model year - to go to replaceable bushings?? Sometimes these running changes get lost in history.

The bushing (piece with the zerk fitting) is supposed to be the main wear item, on most of our old cars the shaft is worn also. So on yours, the a-arm itself would wear out. You would have to replace the entire a-arm.

Can you disassemble your a-arms by removing the four bolts at the plates that locate the spring? (I ended up doing this just to clean it all up.) Its a good place to use new grade 8 bolts when you reassemble. Then, if your a-arm threads are ok, you can thread them right on to your new shafts.

If not, I will look in my parts pile - I stripped some suspension items from a parts car, but it was to get the spindle. I am not sure how good the a-arms were - but they were like mine, able to accomodate bushings.

I nominate you for the coveted "Buick Mystery of the Week" award.

Jeff

Guest Harry HT

Factory changed type of control arm of 40 and 60 series cars in 1937. First edition was used till 40-series chassis #3146149 and till 60-series chassis #3146732. Second ed. from beyond.

Could this be the reason why it's different ???

- Harry -

Guest stephenson1937

I had picked up additional parts from an individual who was parting out his 37 Special. Wouldn't you know that the front end on his was the same as mine. I guess I will mix and match using the parts that look the least worn. Thanks for the responses and the information.

Cool - with and without bushings (early vs late production).

Larry, if the threads are not worn away, go ahead and use the a-arms without bushings. If they look really bad, let me know, and I will see what mine look like.

Jeff