bf goodrich radial t/a tire question.....and 1972 skylark 4 sale

i am looking to put these tires on my 1970 GS<BR>can someone tell me how wide i can go...?<BR>i have 14 inch ralley wheels.do i want 235/60's or 245/60's.will they even fit.? i am not sure what most GS cars tire sizes are when using the bf goodrich radial t/a performance.<BR>any help would be greatly appreciated.<BR>also....<P><BR>i have a 1972 skylark 350 for sale.<BR>a great price at only $1,300.00 which includes a lot of extras<BR>have plenty of photos.email me at : LES_BRERS@yahoo.com for more info on the 1972 skylark for sale.<P>thanks

Run a search on the General forum for a few threads about tire sizes. :-)<P>Personally, I have 14 inch standard rims and put 235/70 on them. I dunno how low numerically you can go on those rims tho.<P>Some people shove bigger tires on back and put smaller ones up front. It works well I imagine on several levels except one. You can't rotate your tires. :-/<P>Cheers!

The correct tire diameter for a 70 GS was 27.1". Converting that to today's standard to keep your speedo correct, good tire sizes would be a 215/75R14. The wider, lower-profile tires you're looking at only have a diameter of 25.1" and 25.6", which will really throw off your speedo and make it read higher than actual speed. A good alternative if you can get some 15" rims would be a 255/60R15, which is the same 27.1" diameter. The drag radials 275/60R15 are 28" and the 275/50R15 are 26.1" and do fit under the wheel wells. Sometimes with a little "massaging", sometimes it's not needed. Quality control and all that back then.

Just put BFGs on my 1970 Skylark. My car has the standard set of 14x6 Chrome Road Wheels that came with most 'Larks and GS cars. I chose to use 225/70R14 because this is as close as you can get to the older G70-14 that was the biggest optional stock tire available on 14 inch rims.<P>The tires have a bit of a "bulge" because of the six inch rim width, but look great and have no clearance problems. As far as I know my speedo has not been changed very much; at 65 indicated I seem to be with the flow of traffic and at 70 I seem to be leading the pack most days...<P>Feel free to e-mail me for a picture that shows the rim & tire combo on my car...<P>Matthew