Front Brake Pad Spring Retainer Clips

Roadster90

I have two 1990 Buick Reatta and having difficulty finding a simple brake part. Attempted to replace the front brake pads last weekend to find the spring retaining clips disintegrated / worn out and un usable. These clips do not come in the pad set anymore and are not in the hardware sets either. The GM dealers and aftermarket parts stores in the Richmond Va area do not have a listing for the clips - can you help please?

Nic Walker

• 3 years later...
I have two 1990 Buick Reatta and having difficulty finding a simple brake part. Attempted to replace the front brake pads last weekend to find the spring retaining clips disintegrated / worn out and un usable. These clips do not come in the pad set anymore and are not in the hardware sets either. The GM dealers and aftermarket parts stores in the Richmond Va area do not have a listing for the clips - can you help please?

Nic Walker

Nic:

I am in the same boat as you with my 1989.... same responses from the Dealer and aftermarket suppliers....I see your posting is an older post, have you found what you needed?

I either sent an email to or called the major brake caliper rebuilder for Advance Auto Parts and explained my problem-situation, and one of their customer relations or sales managers sent me a couple of clips in the mail. Very nice of them - problem is now I can't remember the name of the rebuilder.....only other way I would think would be to obtain some by buying used calipers from a wrecking yard. I have beat my memory up and even called Advance for the name of the caliper rebuilder, and neither I or the folks at Advance can think of the name - it is not their current suppiler ....... Sanko (however it wouln't hurt to call their customer support). Hope this helps....

Nic

Thanks for the response Nic. I ended up purchasing an aftermarket set of new calipers just to get the retainer clips since they are not sold seperately as far as I or the dealership could find.. used the clips on the orginial calipers and now have a set of brand new aftermarket calipers for sale without clips. I know its a round about sucky way to get the clips but I did not want to be driving around with rattling brakes....