ID Tranny

Guest Bushbunny62

Guest Bushbunny62

Hey guys,

Can anyone ID this transmission from this picture? I'm thinking it is a hydromatic and trying to find an inspection plate that fits it.The one I have almost fits but it hits the ring gear at the bottom and won't go up to the block to be bolted on. post-63899-143138185804_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Bush<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

post-63899-143138185802_thumb.jpg

Guest BobOlds

Based on the wide inspection opening and comparing it with a picture from bendsten's transmission adapters, I'd say the the transmission is a "Slim Jim" hydramatic. What year car was the transmission in?

Guest Bushbunny62

the car it's in is a 1958 oldsmobile, but the engine isn't the stock one, it's a 394 and I need the flywheel inspection cover.

John

That transmission is not a Slim Jim, or Roto-Hydramatic. I'm guessing it is a Jetaway based on:

It's air cooled. A Slim Jim would be liquid cooled.

Ring gear on the fluid coupling. Jetaways had two fluid couplers - one internal and one external. A Slim Jim only has one coupler and it's internal. A Slim Jim would have a flywheel-looking thing, and a damper plate, in place of the external fluid coupler.

Additionally, a Slim Jim wouldn't have that square bump on the side.

It is entire possible to put a 394 in front of a Jetaway. Jetaways came out in '56 and were used through '60. The 394 came out in '59 and was used through '64. So the 394s were mated to both the Jetaway and the Slim Jim.

Your starter housing appears to be for a Slim Jim, which is why it doesn't fit.

Paul

Edited by Oldsfan (see edit history)

Guest Bushbunny62

Hey Paul. Thanks that was truely amazing to read.so I guess I need to find a flywheel inspection cover for a jetaway with a 394 in it.

Thanks you for the informative post!!

John