Drive Axle Help

Guest takenitslo

Guest takenitslo

I need to replace the Drive Axles on a 1990 TC with automatic and 6 cyl. Engine. I ordered replacement axles (remanufactured) that were from A1-Cardone however, when I received them the right axle was quite a bit longer than the left. From looking under the TC, both the drive axles appear to be the same length and in the Service Manual (the red one) I have it states “The vehicle has two short drive shafts of equal length” and also gives a procedure for measuring the drive axles with the same specs for the right and left. Also I read in one of the other threads that some of the TCs can have equal length shafts and others don’t. Since the ones on my TC appear to be the same length, am I safe in using the same drive axle for both the right and the left with the only difference being the damper weight (tone ring) which goes on the left side axle? Thanks

Hi<\,

I think someone didn't read all the info in the "parts book". when I researched replacements 3 years ago both Cardone replacement axles were the same.

Good Luck, Lou

Guest takenitslo

Thanks LouZ for your reply. I double checked the Cardone web site and they do list 2 different part numbers (60-3250 & 60-3252) for a 1990 TC with AUTOMATIC trans. For the 1990 with manual trans they do list the same part number for both the left & right axels however it is a different part number (60-3238). So I still don't know, get 2 of the 60-3250 or go with the 60-3238 which they say is for the manual transmission.

I had this nightmare a few months ago.Forget A1 cardone,they sent the same parts which they insist are correct.I managed to get the right axels from my local autozone parts store.They cost a little more but have a lifetime warranty duralast cv half shaft #8273. These have the correct tone wheel. Also I found them at a place called Pheonix rack and axel for less $$ but minus the tone wheels which I was informed were easy to break if not removed/installed correctly. Their # is 602 252-8255 they rebuild the axels in house.Good luck on your quest! Mark