Smoke got out of the wiring

Guest neroco2

Guest neroco2

Hello everyone.

Put the battery charger on the car battery of my 1988 Reatta, positive on positive and negative on negative, as usual, but this time noticed a waft of smoke coming from the center console. No fire. I disconnected the charger and disconnected the cables from the battery and then continued to charge the battery. After the battery was charged I tried to start the car. No start. I didn't hear the fuel pump run but the brake system pumped up as normal.

Put a pressure guage on the shrader valve on the fuel rail and no pressure. Also, the radio no longer works but it does show function on the CRT, just no sound.

The ignition was not on when charging the battery.

Where do you think I should look first?

Thanks.

neroco2

Guest Mc_Reatta

Fuse and relay panel on the left side of the passenger's footwell. I would concentrate on circuits that are always hot since something smoked while the ignition was off. Check fuses and look for wires with damaged insulation. Fuel pump relay is on the firewall on the inside of the engine compartment. Not sure how the power gets to it from the ignition switch. That alone won't keep the car from starting as when the oil pressure comes up the fuel pump will come on as well. The wires behind the headlight switch have been known to melt down upon occasion, but that's not the area that you saw the smoke.

• 2 weeks later...