The TC has landed

Guest ImperialNorth

Guest ImperialNorth

Well I am now the proud owner of an 89 Cabernet & Ginger TC. I couldn't be more pleased. It is the colour combination I wanted and it is by far the best car I have looked at (in my price range).

It has a few issues, the odometer doesn't work, the radio works when it feels like it. I need the switches for the seats on the console. I bought the car from the original owners, they had all the paper work including the window sheet with price etc. They even had the request card for the engraved dash plaque Chrysler offered.

I did the 600 mile trip home without much problem, the check engine light came on after one of the stops but everything was ok as far as oil, temp etc and it went out after it was shut off for a bit, so it may have misfired when it started. The car has sat for about a year, since the guys mother bought herself a new Camry.

They had recently replaced the timing belt so thats one thing I don't have to do. One thing that did concern me. Today when I took the car out there was smoke coming from underneath the car. I found the plastic plug from the rocker cover at the cam had almost fallen right out. So not sure what happened there. But it wasn't down very much on oil.

Having the car inspected on Thursday for the transfer into my name and plating it.

It was a bitter sweet trip as I dropped my Imperial off at the shipping broker for its trip to France. Like parting with a dear friend.

Well if anyone has any suggestion what I should be doing with this little guy please let me know.

Guest My TC Toy

Glen, it sounds af if you are satisfied. The few problems you note will help you pass some time the winter. Doesn't sound like anything too serious. If I can be of any help, just drop me a line.

The folks on the thread will lend a hand when required, as usual.

Again, congrats.

How about some pictures and info?

Bob

Guest ImperialNorth

I would like to find the switches if anyone has a parts car? The radio, I have a replacement for if I can't find a late nineties tape/cd combo. I want to rejuvenate the leather as it is showing some aging. I got under the hood today and cleaned it up considerably. It really is a diamond in the rough right now. Will get into the odometer at a later date.

Here are a few photos from our excursion

post-64331-143138134954_thumb.jpg

post-64331-143138134959_thumb.jpg

post-64331-143138135302_thumb.jpg

post-64331-143138135308_thumb.jpg

Edited by ImperialNorth (see edit history)

Hmm, pics didn't load up, you'll probably try again after you've rested from your journey:) Are sure the seat switches are bad? I've not seen the switches themselves fail rather the tabs that secure them to the underside of the console. If you are careful and patient, they can usually be repaired with some time, effort and a little fabrication. Congrats on your new project:cool:

Alan

Guest ImperialNorth

I had to go back and edit as the photos didn't load properly. Well right now the switches are being held in place with an elastic band around the two top switches. I will take a look an see if it looks like they can be accessed easy enough for me to do. Because I sure don't need to spend money for no reason.

Alan, If you want to give me some hints that would be appreciated too.

Hi,

As Alan posted Those switches mostly never go bad. It's just when originally installed the screws used were not long enough & in time the plastic recievers broke off. There usually is enough left that you can find some longer screws and just recapture the hold downs. ~ Also ~ they made the wires real short. There is not enough slack in them to give you room to maneuver.

~ ~ Problem ~ ~ a real pain to get to. I personally get the seats out of the way.

Check all fluids & filters, Drive the car. Get a good feel for it. Then start changing all the fluids, & filters. The Brake fluid must be flushed every 3 to 4 years, and the Brake Accumulator replaced every 8 to 10 years. Take extra good care of the cooling system. The Radiator is almost irreplaceable. Hemi has an associate that will make one.

Good Luck, Lou

Oh Yes,,, The speaker system in these cars is also not your normal system. Try to find a later model of that same Chrysler Infinity.

Hey that Ford looks pretty good also. Is it a '51

Edited by LouZ (see edit history)

Guest d_voitel

Great find! I hope you enjoy it. I found a white/black/black in '09 and I've had a lot of fun with it so far. The Royal Cabernet is awesome. If I ever added another, it would have to be the Royal Cabernet or Black. Enjoy the new wheels. The Ford looks pretty cool as well.

Guest ImperialNorth

Yes the Ford came into the restaurant we had stopped at in Northern Ohio, I had to get some photos of it even if it is a Ford...lol.

Guest ImperialNorth

Bob to get to the switches you go in from the top of the console? I take it this braking system is different than most. I have never heard of changing the brake fluid so often. The engine oil was just changed and did use synthetic. I will change the tranny fluid in the spring when I get it out. Do you do anything with the head gasket as routine maintenance?

I am having the certification done on it tomorrow so that will dictate how much "restoration" I can afford to do. I trust you got your payment for the manual?

Here is a photo of the front of the Ford I spotted in Ohio

post-64331-143138135318_thumb.jpg

Guest My TC Toy

Glen,

The car looks great. Have fun with her. Like I said to you before, now the fun starts - you have to learn how to work on her.

To get to the seat switches, the easiest way is to remove the front seats. Sorry, but that makes the job a whole lot easier. You cannot release the console until you remove the seats. The wiring for the seat switches is short and that does not give you a lot of room to manouver. When I repaire my seat switches I cut vinyl hose to make up a spacer to secure in place properly and drilled up through the console. Then I countersunk four long screws down through the console through the vinyl hose spacers, through the switch and screwed into fender nuts pushed on to the flanges of the switches. I painted the screw heads the colour of the console wood and they are bearly noticeable, but most important the problem will not re-occur.

Some other stuff that is important to look at is the brake fluid, tranny fluid and accumulator. The brake fluid should be changed at least every four years, personally I would not recommend synthetic, DOT4 is fine. If you have a 604 tranny (V6 3L engine) replace the fluid without delay. Improper maintenance is murder on this tranny.

Check your accumulator (brake booster) if it has a label around the top - Relace it without delay it could be 20 years old.

Other stuff has to be done but this will get you started. Enjoy!

Bob

PS, I just noticed you TC is an '89 so I assume it is a 2.2 turbo. This tranny is not as persnickity as the 604 but you should change the fluid. ALso if she is pushing 100k you should look at a new head gasket and timing belt, if it has not already been done.

Bob

Edited by My TC Toy (see edit history)

Guest d_voitel

Yes the Royal Cabernet is beautiful. If I ever get around to another TC, I would like to get a Royal Cabernet as well. Next choice is black.

The 604 tranny is persnickity, but if the car is driven, it's O.K. Thank goodness you won't have to deal with it. My '91 has the 604 and I find the more I drive the car, the better it gets. When the car sits, the memory in the 604 gets a case of amnesia. Good luck with the new car. I've had a lot of fun with mine since I got it last year. It turns a lot of heads.

Guest ImperialNorth

The timing belt has been done, the car has as far as they know about 64,000 miles on it. I preferred a black and ginger, but cabernet & ginger was a close second. Dave I am keeping your car on my PC wallpaper just to keep me striving for the appearance of yours.