455 Timing Covers

I've recently come accross three or four 400-430-455 front timing covers. Wondering if anyone might be looking for one. I can bead blast them and clean them up if necessary. I know there starting to get harder to come by so I thought I just put the word out.<P>I grabbed one for my self and it cleaned up great. I'm not sure exactly what to do about the front seal though. I'm sure it needs to be replaced as the old rope seal was shot but I'm not sure of the proper replacement seal. Any help here would be appreciated.<P>Also, anyone have a use for front Drums/Spindles etc off a 64'Skylark? I don't know, it might cost more to ship them than they're worth. I recently completed a front disc swap and need to get my old parts out of the garage.<P>JC<BR>

JC,<BR>Just about all the vendors these days sell neoprene front cover seals, which is the way to go.<BR>I believe all the following would have them: Kenne-Bell, Poston, Year One, T/A, etc., etc.<BR>John

The front seal should be available from TA performance. The last one I got was from them. Somewhere I have a box with the actual seal number on it. I think it is some kind of Ford rear axle seal that fits.<BR>The only thing to remember is that it goes in closed side down (open end points towards the block). Just follow any instructions with the seal if you get it from TA.<BR>I hope this helps,<BR>Mark

Thanks to everyone for all the info on the front Seals. That will help alot. <P>Regarding the 455 timing covers, I've been out of town the last few days and haven't had an opportunity to do anything more on "aquiring" the covers. I've actually still got to go pull them off the engines. I'm going to try to collect them this week and give them an initial inspection. Hope to have more info for those who are interested by the end of the coming weekend. As soon as I have the covers and good descriptions I'll post with pictures. <P>JC

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I pulled two timing covers. I started cleaning them up tonight and am planning to bead blast them tomorow night. From what I've been able to see tonight they are both in pretty good shape, considering they're OLD. I would say that one is in Pretty Good shape and one is in Very Good shape.<P>They both have typicall "scratch" type marks at the oil pump housing locations but very minor. Neither of them have the oil pump cover, just the timing cover shell. The old water pupmps are available if anyone wants them. One has some dings where the cover mounts to the oil pan but once the new gasket is siliconed on I'm certain there wont be any problem with a good positive seal. This same cover shows a little more wear around the water jacket/ports going into the block, but again I would anticipate no problems sealing it up with a new gasket. The exterior appearance is escellent on both covers.<P>I will bead blast them tomorow, give them a final inspection and post some prices after that. <P>One more thing, I've got a power steering pump along with mounting bracket off a 72 455 buick if anyone is interested.<P>JC<BR>

Just an update on the Timing Covers I've got for sale. First I have to apologize for taking so darn long to get the covers cleaned up and presentable. In my last post I mentioned I've got two Covers for sale. I've actually got three. Two of them are in Very Good condition and the other would fall in the Good catagory. All three of them have, what appears to me as, only "minor" wear on the Oil pump housings. The two better covers have very little wear/corrosion on the water jackets/ports and the exteriors are excellent. One of the better covers has a couple of broken water pump bolts that I forgot to remove before I snapped my pictures but I will be sure to remove them before I sell or ship the cover. Actually, I think I'm going to put the "Good" cover up on Ebay to see how the auction process works, but the two better covers will be available to anyone here that's interested. To those of you who have emailed me about the covers, I will respond tonight with Pictures and prices. If anyone else is interested, send me an email and I'll send you pictures.<P>JC<P>PS. I've also got a 72' 455 Power steering pump along with all the brackets and a set of three pulleys

• 2 weeks later...

Just another update on the timing covers I've got if anyone is interested. <P>First of all, I've got two covers left. One of the covers had two broken water pump bolts but aside from that it was in Excellent condition. I ran into a bit of an unexpected problem when removing the broken bolts however. After drilling one of the broken bolts out, my tap broke off in the hole while cleaning up the threads. Needless to say, it was a bear getting it out and in the process the threads were damaged futher. My intention now is to install helicoil threads in the damaged hole. Can anyone tell me why this wouldn't work? Of course if anyone is interested in buying this cover, my original price will be reduced as it is no longer an "all original", it will have thread modifications. Aside from that the oil pump housing is in great condition.<P>Anyway, thats the story. I would be interested in hearing what others think is the best way to repair the bad threads. Helicoil, studs, etc.<P>jc