Leather refinishing

Guest ImperialNorth

Guest ImperialNorth

Am I to understand that there is a way to make the leather with the wrinkle marks in it can be redyed to appear, newer or less worn. Also is this a process that we can do or is it only done by professionals?

Can the seats be done without fear of wearing the dye on our "Sunday go to Church" clothes?

Guest My TC Toy

I can advise you on black. The same holds true for other colours but it is essential that the colour of the paint be as exact as possible (you can mix acrylic paints to optain almost any colour). I used about four parts Lexol Leather conditioner to one part black acrylic paint. You can get the paint in any dollar store. Mix well and rub well into leather. I let mine stand overnight and the next day buffed it with a dry cloth. I then followed up with another application of Lexol. This proceduer will hide wear marks and surface cracks. The colour is permanent and will not rub off.

Good luck.

BTW, did you find a car?

Imperial North, is that a clue that you are canadian.??

Hi, I presume you are new. Starting last year I posted a complete leather redo of a Bordeaux interior. When I started the leather was so sun dried (it came from California) that the tan/brown of the actual hide was showing thru the surface. I used Leatherique products and posted a step by step procedure with pictures. I think if you use the search feature, you may find the complete story. If you do not find it keep me informed. I will repost

Good Luck, Lou

Guest ImperialNorth

Guilty as charged on both counts. I reside in Ontario, and joined the club about a week or so ago. Desperately looking for the perfect TC, but distance and budget have made it a challenge. That and some owners aren't sure they want to sell after all. But I have learned the leather is something that really needs to be considered when shopping for a TC.. I am doing my homework thats for sure

Guest David Simons

Glen,

I will also pass on this bit of advice to you as well, the cars owned by regulars on this forum tend to be in better shape than most that you will find . The special attention to detail has been followed. You can find great cars outside of this forum, I feel I did , but you will also have to figure on spending some additional money on it to make it that perfect car for you. You are correct with your notion that the interior is very important when considering a purchase. In all actuality, you can rebuild a stock engine cheaper than you can totally re do the interior and the same can almost be said for a decent paint job. Take your time looking, the market is flat and prices are not on the rise. The ball is in your court.

David

Guest ImperialNorth

So I can buy your car $4500.00......lol. I have been getting that impression about a lot of the cars on here. there are some very sweet cars out there. I just wish I were in a better position to offer what some of these cars are really worth

Guest David Simons

The mother load of money in mine is under the hood. It was a good driver that just needed a better paint job than what it had. When the head gasket let go I just decided to have some fun. I only paid $3500 for that car. So you can find some nice cars out there, just be patient.

Guest David Simons

Some on this forum may remember the '91 that I bought that had its hardtop blown off in transit, I only gave $2550 for that car and it was clean as a pin. It just had higher mileage on it, 125 k. But if your figuring on spending a few bucks after you buy it and want to drive it, mileage is not that big of an issue.

Guest d_voitel

I found mine in a salvage yard and paid $1500. It hasn't needed anything major except a new soft top. The rest was mainly clean up and TLC. It turns heads wherever I take it. The motor runs fine with 114K miles. Quiet and doesn't burn any oil. I have a couple of minor annoyances, but I have them with the new car as well; just different ones. Good hunting!

Guest ImperialNorth

Lou, does the club have a paint or dye code for the ginger coloured leather. The car I am buying has a good interior but it does need to be spruced up a bit. Thanks for the input

Altho this stuff called "Dye" is really a type of paint; everything you can think of can cause slight off tones. I mean humidity, temperature, & stuff like that. This also applies to the original leather colors. Park 2 side by side, and there will be slight color differences in the leather color. This is due to the same thing, hides take the dye differently, how often it's left out in the sun, all that stuff.. Leatherique has the color. I have had to had them help me with a little bit of something to tint it. Call that lady at Leatherique. She is very nice and will help where she can. Good Luck, Lou