more lighting questions

Guest u571

I just noticed these two reflector lenses that are visible when the trunk is open. They are part of the rear bumper facia(top) and since the car is red I never saw them ,DUH!. They feel like they have rubber socket "boots" behind them yet they dont light. I figure they are safety related and thought they would blink with hazard lites? I need an owners manual obviously:o alsooo...THe trunk lite doesnt work and all looks normal at the socket,is there a limit switch for this like in the tire storage lid that isnt disengaging or do I need to follow the wire back to look for a faulty connection? Rhetorical question: how many rolls of electrical tape do you think were used on each car? :eek:

Guest My TC Toy

Let's see if I deciphered your question(s) correctly.The reflector lenses behind the trunk lid are just that, reflector lenses, the do not light. I have an owners manual available for an '89 TC, the blue cover- contact me if you are interested. Incidently I also have a near complete set of TC America newsletters available also, if you are interested, they contain invaluable information on our cars.

The trunk light is operated by a copper contact strip (ground contact) in the trunk lock. Check your fuses to make sure the power is going to the light. Run a short piece of wire from the ground side of the bulb to body ground and the bulb should light. This will confirm power and bulp operation. If it is get at the trunk lock (in the trunk cover) and you will locate, rather easily, a copper strip that grouds off the trunk lock. Most likely this contact is dirty. Clean it off and the light should work. The only other possibility is the loss of the ground in the trunk cover, this is unlikely but not impossible. Check the trunk cover ground wire.

Thanks TC TOY,several shots of spray contact cleaner and some jiggling and trunk lite works fine,also got trunk lock solenoid functioning while I was in there. Is it correct that the trunk release button only operates when ignition switch is on?

Guest d_voitel

Thanks MY TC TOY. I had the same problem with my trunk release button. I hadn't taken time to research the problem since I had a key. It turns out to be a pilot problem, not a TC problem. I know the ignition was off.