Wheel Paint

Guest Bfoss

I'm preparing the wheels for my 1916 Dodge Touring for new wood. After cleaning the crud off the hubs I discovered a decent coat of paint. So decent in fact that a wire wheel didn't do a complete job and I ended up using Stripease, which worked. (Don't let it dry, guess how I know)

Anyway, I am so impressed with the paint job I'd like to duplicate it. What is the process to prepare the surface, prime or not prime and the type, and what type of top coat should I use to get the most durable finish?

Thanks for any advise.

I don't know if this is the original method or not, but it is from my Chilton's Auto Restoration Guide. First, a thorough sanding is necessary for a smooth surface, then "use a filler on any small checks or cracks in the spokes". Next, build up the surface with either shellac or primer sanding between coats. Apply final paint color (I'd use 2 coats minimum) and then "give wood wheels a final coat of clear varnish"..." as this added protection is worthwhile" If you are striping your spokes they should be applied before final coat of varnish. I got this book in the mid-70's and there may be better finishes now....hope the info helps.

Thanks for the response. I'm having the spokes and fellows replaced, so my issue is with the metal hubs. Did they have any suggestions of those?

Thanks again!