classic verses antique

Guest Bob L

Back in the dark ages (50's) up here north of the 49th; "Antique" was pre 28 (ie with two wheel brakes {as most cars went to four wheel brakes in 28/29})

Vintage was 29 up until you got all steel tops (various years but about 34/5/6)

Prewar was with a solid top an pre WWII (I was never quite sure of wether they meant before the begining {ours or yours or Englands} or during or what.

Post war seems fairly obvious.

Big "C" Classic seems fairly obvious.

The unusual thing I have to get my mind around is that my car was "old, vintage" and looked it, as a 29 year old car in 1959. Today a 29 year old car seems quite modern.

Guest DeSoto Frank

"The unusual thing I have to get my mind around is that my car was "old, vintage" and looked it, as a 29 year old car in 1959. Today a 29 year old car seems quite modern. "

I think you made a very interesting point, Reid...

There's a lot less apparent difference between a 1979 & 2009 car, than between a 1929 and 1959 model.

At 42, I (still) consider myself a fairly young buck here in the world of "old cars" and AACA...

I have always tended to drive cars that were "older than myself", but even at that, my vehicles didn't always meet even the state's modest definition of "antique"... when I was a senior in high school, my 1962 Falcon was "just an old car", at 23 years of age...

I think many of us have a hard time thinking of a given model year as "antique", if we can remember that year as a "new car", or seeing a lot of them on the road.

I'm sure there are / were many AACA charter members that would not have ever thought of Model A Fords, Crosleys, Kaiser-Frazers, or Edsels as "antique cars"...

I have a similar mental block with Pintos, Vegas, Mustang IIs, etc...

I'm having a little trouble adjusting to the fact that the "car of my youth", a 1961 Rambler American convertible just like the one my mother had when I was a toddler, is now nearly 50 years old ! :eek:

The hobby owes a lot to folks like you, who have lived with the very same car for 50 years, have driven it, fixed it, and continue to drive it, and share your experiences with the rest of us...

Regards,

De Soto Frank