SUICIDE DOORS

Guest OLBUICKS

Guest OLBUICKS

I took my 38 4 door to a car show this weekend and I was asked a question why do they call the rear doors suicide doors... I always thought it was because if you opened one while going down the road it would pull you out and put you in the middle of the road... But I heard other commits that the gangsters liked them to throw out their victims, and some other reasons... any commits?

I've heard two reasons. If you were leaning on the door, and the body flexed a bit (like going around a corner), the door would pop open and the rush of wind would pull the door wide open and you would come tumbling out. Also, if you opened the door to get out (driver's side) and a car came around you from behind, it could smash the door shut with you in between the door and pillar.

I have a '38 also (2-door), take a look at my fuel line question I am getting ready to post.

Jeff

Guest OLBUICKS

Thanks for the reply on the door... That was one of the statements made about the door getting hit from the rear... I couldn't remember that one...

Guest 40series

I have heard all of the above; And all I would say are true but we may never know which was first. The chicken or the egg?????