1956 Dodge Coronet Transmission Won't Shift

Guest scorpius666

Guest scorpius666

Hi;

I am new to the forum and am trying to figure out a problem on a 1956 Dodge Coronet with a flathead 6 engine , automatic transmission and and push button selector.

The push button selector works fine and car will go in reverse , drive , etc with no problem and my question is about a problem in the automatic transmission itself

When the car is started in the morning then placed in drive and driven it it will only stay in first gear and will not shift untill appx 20 minutes of driving then it shifts and appears to run normally.

What is causing the trans to stay in 1st gear for so long (appx 20 minutes) before it starts behaving properly.

Thank you in advance and any help would be greatly appriciated<!-- google_ad_section_end --> as this is driving me crazy.

Joe

Have you checked the trans fluid level ? do it with the engine hot and running and make sure the level is correct

If this is OK, has someone been messing with the carb or trans linkages ? it doesnt take much to get these out of wack to upset the shift pattern

Finally if all the above checks out OK you are left with an internal trans problem, is the fluid clean or does it have a brownish tinge and burnt smell ??

Perhaps drain the fluid and drop the pan to inspect the filter, if you find any contamination then its going to cost money !!

That is the best advice you will get but I will just add to it in that if the tranny fluid has been in there a while than maybe it has turned to mud inside the valve body or any other # of places which will resrict flow until it gets hot and flows more smoothly. Have it drained and flushed at very least then if it does not correct problem you can start to panic just a little.

• 3 years later...
Guest Ponyboy13
Hi;

I am new to the forum and am trying to figure out a problem on a 1956 Dodge Coronet with a flathead 6 engine , automatic transmission and and push button selector.

The push button selector works fine and car will go in reverse , drive , etc with no problem and my question is about a problem in the automatic transmission itself

When the car is started in the morning then placed in drive and driven it it will only stay in first gear and will not shift untill appx 20 minutes of driving then it shifts and appears to run normally.

What is causing the trans to stay in 1st gear for so long (appx 20 minutes) before it starts behaving properly.

Thank you in advance and any help would be greatly appriciated<!-- google_ad_section_end --> as this is driving me crazy.

Joe

I have this same exact problem with my 56 dodge coronet. Did you find out what was wrong? Please email me at areynoso003@gmail.com thank you so much.

Andrew