Rockne Rear Wheels

OK so I need to inspect the brakes on the rear of my 32 Rockne 75 (I'm done with the fronts.)

I have a big 3 prong puller grabing onto the groove in the hub with the point of the puller in the tapered hole in the end of the axle (yes the axle nut has been removed)

I have the puller as tight as I can get it with a 16" breaker bar and I have hammered on the end of the puller screw with a 2 lb mallet. The mallet just bounces off the screw and the wheel does not budge.

Am I doing something wrong or do I need a bigger hammer?

Rockne 75 and the Dictator share the same construction, I think.

Dick

Guest Gary Hearn

Dick,

Drop Brad Johnson a line (starlitcpe at aol dot com) and see if he can help. He has an original Rockne of the same vintage.

Gary

Guest stude8

If you have wood spoke wheels what you will need is an "Act Of God" to get them off. Read this earlier post about a few 1928 Studebakers for entertainment.

http://forums.aaca.org/f126/1927-studebaker-dictator-eu-wheel-question-259862.html

My 1928 Commander rear hubs are still tightly in place after exhausting every trick known and a new hub puller tool to fit the 2-3/4" - 16 THREAD hub. I will be trying a heavier duty OTC puller soon after I get an adapter plate bored to fit the hub.

One fellow in Canada says it takes nothing less than a two foot swing with a 12LB sledge to break the taper axle bond. The picture is what I last tried including heating the hub with Acteylene torch but no luck.

Good luck with the Rockne.

Stude8

post-31139-143138094442_thumb.jpg