'50 Special or 2DR Riviera

I have located a 1950 Buick with 24,800 miles in GOOD condition. This vehicle has the original tires (and spare), as well as, original interior. This has been garage stored for years. It needs a paint job and a few other cosmetic touches to the interior. When I called a local restorer of Antique autos he said he appraised this vehicle as a "Special"; the title indicates this is a 2DR Riviera (with no mention of it being a "Special"). Is this one in the same or does the fact the title says it's a 2DR Riviera add value. The owner is asking $10500. Can anyone offer an opinion on "Speical" versus "Riviera" and whether this is a good price or recommend a source to contact. Thanks for your help.

If this car is a hardtop, it will be a Super model 56R or a Roadmaster 76R (75R in basic model i.e. crank-up windows, plainer interior) There is no hardtop model available in the '50 Buick Special line. Hope this helps.

Steinson is correct!! The Super and Roadmaster models were the only ones to use "Riviera Styling" in 1950. That meant that it was either a hardtop model or some sedans came with Riviera styling ie.model 52 and model 72 Hope this helps.

Thank you for the help. Where would I find whether it is a 75R, 76R or 56R? Would the title denote this? Do you have any ideas on the value or is it too difficult to comment on? Thanks again.

If you look on the cowl(firewall)above the defroster duct ,you will find a tag about 3" x 4" and it will give you all the info you want,,But just look on that tag for one of those numbers mentioned above,,then you will know. As far as the value goes???? Pick up a copy of one of the antique car value guides before you buy anything,,They usually describe conditions well and give you some idea of the cars "book"value,,,although I have never bought or sold a car for book price...its just a guide,,If it is an exceptional example it may be worth book..<BR>

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Barry,<BR> The last number in the engine serial number represents the vehicle series number. ie 4=40 series, 5=50 series, & 7=70. If it is a 2 dr hardtop (Riviera) it would be a 56R, or 76R.<BR>A 72R is a 4 dr Roadmaster hardtop (Riviera)<BR> Hope this helps. 40 would be a Special, 50 is a Super and 70 is the Roadmaster.<BR>Scottt<BR>

Brian<BR>Old Cars Price Guide,, magazine is what I usually use,,Make sure you read the descriptions of the different conditions and be critical!!!!! Remember that a #1 condition car is almost non-existant,,,Not driven and always trailered,,So your talking dealer showroom new condition,,Hope this helps

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Brian,<BR> You can find the Old Cars Price Guide at the newsstand, or I don't know if you have any Barnes & Noble Bookstores by you, but I have seen them there. If not the phone # to Old Cars is 715/445-3775 ext 257. You can order it from them. If you don't subscribe to Old Cars Weekly, you should try it.<BR>Scott

You are on the right track. 1950-51 56R<BR>can go from $1,500 to $25,000 mint. But <BR>you better love this car it requires lots<BR>of work and time note: it is a 6 volt system with a st 8 eng. I have a 1951-56R been<BR>working on it for some time 50% done but <BR>will trade for buick conv. <BR>RAS