Correct oil

What is the correct engine oil to use in my 39 Champion. I've been using Quaker State 30wt. I've read about modern oils causing rapid camshaft wear. Is there a different brand oil, or an additive I should be using?? Thanks, Norm in Texas

Guest stude8

Norm

All motor oils have a "Service Rating" notice on the container, look for <span style="color: #000099"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">API Service SJ</span></span></span> or lower alphabetically (SH, SG, SF examples). Present production oils are going to say <span style="font-weight: bold">SM</span> that is the formula that has reduced Zinc chemical content that is what early flat tappet engines require.

For my 1928 Studebaker I buy Shell Rotella T straight 30W oil with SJ rating at Tractor Supply or Rural King farm stores. It also bears the CF-4 rating which stands for "Compression" ignition (Diesel) engines. The "S" rating stands for "Spark" ignition engines. Diesel oil has even greater Zinc content than spark engine oils.

The following link takes you to a thorough article on this subject by Rocky Mountain Model A club members. It is a good item to read and save.

http://www.rockymountainmodelaclub.org/Technical_Info/Engine/WHICH%20OIL%20TO%20USE%20by%20Russert%20and%20Wiedeman%20Rev%20B%20HTM/WHICHO_1.HTM

Stude8

Guest Don Aust

Thanks Stude8 for the link to the Rocky Mountain Model A Club. Good site with lots of info.

There is always something to learn (at least for me).