1929 Dodge DA Gemmer Steering Box

Has anyone tried replacing the sector shaft bushings with needle roller bearings? The Ford Model A people do this regularly on their Gemmer boxes and add a modern neoprene seal on the outboard end of the sector shaft to keep the garage floor cleaner. It looks possible, but comparing the Dodge sector housing to the Ford, the latter's casting is bit larger in diameter leaving plenty of meat once its been bored out. My new policy: Measure three times, ask for the expert's opinion twice, CUT ONCE! Thanks for your input. Joe

I have been through this same thing, it is always the outer bushing that is worn the worst because of the force exerted at that point. I have had great luck with finding another housing and removing the inner bushing ( as there are two and then also turning that inner bushing around so that it give the best possible seal. The inner and outer bushings are the same as far as I could tell and the inner one is rarely worn in any boxes I have come in contact with. I have no leak at all now from my box.