carburetor trouble

DoubleG

Need help with a stewart c-243 carburetor. I am having trouble with the metering pin, it will work ok but when the pin gets set to high it gets stuck in the metering valve, and the engine stalls. the only whay to fix it is to pull the pin out of the valve and put the carburetor back together. Is the pin supposed to be soldered to the rank or does it just sit on it?

Guest imouttahere

You've got what is a very common problem with these carburetors. The metering pin is supposed to be swaged (i.e., attached by interference fit) to the rack, but after many years they sometimes come apart. If you can't fix your metering pin, let me know and I'll send you one of the metering pins that Bob Scafani was kind enough to give me.

Guest imouttahere

"My son and I have been pulling our hair out trying to understand why this problem keeps happening."

Yes, that's why I'm bald. And the symptoms of a metering pin that has become disconnected from its rack are very similar to those caused by a bad vacuum tank. Welcome to the joys of antique car ownership!