Car originally from Wisconsin, how could you track it?

Ben Popadak

Back in 2003 I bought a pile of parts to a 1902 Rambler. I never recorded the history when I got the stuff so I called the old owner today. He said he got the stuff from his dad's estate when he passed away and believed it was originally his great grandmother's car though he didn't know her name. He believed the car was originally bought in Berlin Wisconsin and the family lived in the Wautoma area. Is there any way to track this car through old licensing? Some states at one time had books listing cars and owners so you could identify people driving down the roads? Any ideas?

Hi Ben

Congratulations on your purchase.

The state of Ohio has the Ohio owners records in the Ohio Historical Society Library in Columbus. The records start in the year 1908. 1908 was the first year the state of Ohio required registration. They list by license number, the owners name, automobile, h.p; address, city, and county. The books cover from 1908 through 1921 if I remember correctly.

You might start with the American License Plate Collectors Association at alpca.org Maybe someone may know if such records exist for Wisconsin.

Some cities in Ohio required licensing prior to the State issue tags. Cleveland required registration in 1902. I have a list of the first 1400 or so people who registered their cars in Cleveland. Prestate license plates are some of the most interesting with the type of construction required by the city.

I'm sure Wisconsin didn't require registration in 1902. Although if the car was registered sometime when the state did. Your information would be there.

Good luck

Charley