LINCOLN V12 engine

ken evans

Some things to look for: All 12's had friction dampers, the '36 to '39 were 4 pin and the '40 to '48 were 6 pin. They all interchange so that's only an indication. The '36 to '39 had a 2-3/4" bore and the '41 to '48 had a 2-7/8" bore with the exception of '42 and early '46 which had a 2-15/16" bore.

The '38 to '48 engines have an oil pressure relief valve at the front of the valve chamber and were equipped with hydraulic tappets. The '40 to '48 engines had aluminum, bolt on camshaft gears whereas the '36 to '39 had press-on fiber camshaft gears. The connecting rod journals were 2.125" dia on the '36 to '41 engines and 2.250" on the '42 to '48 engines. Originally the intake manifolds had 3 bolt carburetor flanges for '36 to '41 engines. The '42 to '48 engines had 4 bolt carburetor flanges. The '46 to '48 had a "date" tag cast on them.

The '36 to '41 engines originally came with aluminum cylinder heads but many were replaced with the cast iron heads used from '42 on. Bear in mind that many "bolt-on" components will interchange on all these engines. Hope this helps in the ID.

You will find that the suppliers listed in the "sources" section to be very helpful in suppling parts and services.

Guest imported_V12Bill

The 36 to 39 block had 2 holes drilled and plugged above the bell housing on the drivers side. The 40 to 48 blocks had 3 holes above the bell housing on the drivers side. One hole was plugged up and the other 2 were used to supply oil to and from the oil filter. The earlier blocks had one hole plugged and the other hole supplied oil to the oil filter and the return from the oil filter went to a threaded hole in the oil pan.

Guest DADDIO65

Get on the Lincoln owners website, this is where I found all of my parts for my 39... Look in the sources area of their website. You will find many great people to deal with. Thes guys have plenty of great info, and great parts at reasonable prices.