Buick 1933 Coupe

Guest Juergen

Guest Juergen

Hallo,

my name is Juergen , I live in germany next Frankfurt and I am enthusiast of american prewarcars since a long time. I am going to buy a 1933 Buick Coupe 66 C and I would be very happy to get some experiences/ Informations about the reliability and the typical problems of this car, where I have to spend attention. Here in germany there are only a few american prewar cars and I would be very happy to have some contact to Buick owners in the states who can give me if nessescary a tip and can help me perhaps.I own also a 1931 chevy and a Jaguar XK 140 and prefer in the last years driving and no restauration works. I did this many years but now I wont.

I thank you for every message.

Best regards from germany

Juergen Walter

Guest jules greenway

hi Juergen,

I live in the UK and have a 1931 Buick 8-90 and a a Jaguar XK120 so we have similar tastes! Being a little nearer then our friends in the US am happy to help out where possible.

I can certainly vouch for the guys over the pond giving invaluable advice!

regards

Jules

Guest Juergen

Hallo Jules,

thank you for your answer. We have indeed the nearly same taste. In the moment I try to check, whether the 1933 Coupe is a reliable car. What is your experience with the straight eight and the quality of the buick. What is the fuel consumption when everything works well? Can I get, if nessesary, somewhere literatur (manual, adjusting dates and so on)? I have also the choise of a 1930 model 40, 6 Cylinder Sport Coupe. I will tell what happens.

Best regards

Juergen

Juergen,

I suggest you join the BCA, who monitors this forum, as it will get you the magazine, The Buick Bugle and to advertising of duppliers for all Buick parts, including '30s.

This forum will also supply you with answers to specific questions.

Of immediate interest for parts, etc, try www.1933buickregistry.com.

From most of our perspectives, I am sure you will find the Buick Straight 8 just about as relaible and strong as they come. The Marvel carburators may be a problem in some respects.

It sounds like this is a running car you found over there, so we would be anxious to see some photos and hear of its condition. Regarding the choice, I would suggest the '33 as it has more power.

I think you will also find quite a few early Buick fans in Europe that will help you along.

John

Guest Juergen

Hallo John,

thank you for the webadress of the 1933 Buick. The car I am looking for shall be in excellent driving and optic condition so tells the dealer nothing missing, expect the windscreen wipers. I will check both, but I would prefer the later one straight 8. I will tell about my experiences.

Best regards from germany

Juergen

(Please excuse my bad english)

Juergen,

Your English is fine. You mentioned a 66C which is the designation for a convertible coupe, while the Sport Coupe in the 60 Series would be the 66 S, and the Vicoria Coupe the Model 68. There were four series, 50, 60, 80 and 90 in 1933.

The numbers depended on wheelbase and larger engines, of course, in the larger series.

Does your proposed car have the sidemount spares (in fender wells)? I am note sure if any of these had a rumble seat, rather then a trunk.

Keep us informaed and don't hesitate to ask questions.

All are quite rare, with the 66C only 152 produced and the 66S - 1,000 produced. Overall, 1933 was a low production year. There were 2,887 of the Model 68 produced.

John

Guest Juergen

Hallo John,

thank you for the compliment, of course you are right, I have been wrong with the designation. It is a 66 S Sport Coupe with two sidemounts spares in the fenders and rumble seat. What is your experience can I drive 55 mph on the "autobahn" for three hours without interruption ? And the next day again ? What do you think is the normal fuel consumption when everything works well ?

Thank you

Juergen

Juergen,

I have never actually done a calculation on fuel consumption on my '32, but it is a sedan and I would think about 15 mpg is about normnal, but mine is is not a lot of highway driving. Then again, we do not have the same fuel prices to be concerned with as in Europe.

There is no doubt it will "tour" at 55, or even 60-65 but depending on weather (and your tires) and time of day, you might want to add some rear lights so you can be better seen, even in the "slow" lane. These can be detachable or permanent.

Fuel consumpotion can be better if you use some different gear ratio or purchase an overdrive unit (depending if you want to tour" or have the car original. The gears are now hard to find, but I can look into that for you, if you like.

John

Guest imported_Thriller

There is some variation, but for '29-'30, around 10-13 mpg seems to be the normal situation.

A '33 should have no trouble at 55-60 mph. The big question is how you feel about stopping. The car still has mechanical brakes, so you won't have the stopping ability of a more modern car.

Good luck.

Guest Juergen

Hallo Derek, hallo John,

it ´s better not to think about fuel consumption with prewar cars, but in germany gas is indeed very expensive, therefore my everyday car I drive with LPG (liquid petrol gas). The problem with mechanical brakes I know very good of my 1931 chevy. You must drive very carefully, but it works also on the autobahn. Unfortunately I have problems with the owner of the buick Coupe. He increased the sales price during the negotiation. With VAT , transport (located on channel islands), german papers, visit and so on, the price is meanwhile so high, that I am not more shure to buy it. On the other side I like this 1933 design very much. I will see. If such a car is for sale in the states, please let me know it.

Regards from rainy germany

Juergen

Juergen,

I guess that is how it works with some sellers. They bait you with a price and instead of negotiating down to somewhere to what you might offer, they get you interested and they raise their price. I guess it is their right to try it, but not very nice.

I just heard of a running car, restored some years ago in Ct, a '35 Coupe for, I think, $23,000. I will try to get more details and the correct price and let you know.

John

I have never been able to understand peoples comments against "Mechanicaly" actuated brakes. If they are properly set up and adjusted they are every bit as good as any other means of actuating your brakes. Once the wheel is locked your braking is dependent on the rubber on the road and nothing else. I have put 391,000 miles on my daily driver since 1959 (it ahd 99,000 on it when I started). I have never had a moments trouble with the brakes since I left the Prairies. Back there the difference in the length of the rods and cables was signifigant between 105 degrees in the sumer down to -54 degrees in the winter so I had to readjust the brakes at least twice a year. Since I have come to a more temperate climate I find I only have to set my front shoes up about once a year (12,000 miles) and then back them off and start all over again about every six or seven years. The rear shoes last twice as long.

Guest Juergen

Hallo Tinindian,

good to hear your experiences with mechanical brakes. I made the same, also with my XK 140 Jaguar with 220 hp and 200 km top-speed ( I never tried to drive)it has hydraulic drumbrakes without assistance and works very well. You must drive always carefuly with old cars in modern traffic.

Regards Juergen