Gas tank question:

Guest Drake

I know the Reatta gas tank came from the factory with baffles inside. Two different aftermarket replacements don't have the baffles. Does it make a difference? Thanks in advance for your input.

Guest simplyconnected

If you live in the great lakes and plains states, it doesn't make that much difference. But if you live in the mountains, you better have a full tank most all the time. Modern gas tanks have a semi-covered "cup" that the pickup gets gas from. When it is level, it fills up. When it is inclined, it stores nearly a quart of gas, enough to take you five miles up hill. That's the only "baffle" a tank needs.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest imported_Fox W.

Hi Drake,

I (unfortunately) have a Silla, which is made in china and about the cheapest tank you can get. It wasn't my intention, I didn't know about them being so cheap till after I got it. I regret the purchase due to the fact that its size/shape wasn't 100% right, and so it was difficult to install. (Also the outer welded lip touched the exhaust, so I had to bend that down) However when it comes to the fact that it lacks baffles, I have always been surprised to find it never has caused any problems, and I can almost never even hear sloshing. (Maybe 3 times in the past 3 years) I always run all the way down to below 1/8 of a tank before I refill, and I live in the Bay-Area of CA, which certainly has its share of hills. Hope this helps. PS, if I could do it again I would try and get a rust-free factory one, since it's just nicer all around, plus the baffles do make the fuel pump less audible.