59 original tires

Guest JL59

The original spare in the trunk of my invicta 4 dr sedan says it is a US Royal 7-60-15. I measured the whitewall and it is two and one sixteenth inches from the edge of the rim to the outer edge of the whitewall. I haven't taken the tire off the rim to see if the whitewall is actually wider or not. I am looking for radials for my buick and I don't know the actual width of the whitewall that was original on the car. Does anybody know the actual width that it is supposed to be? And, could somebody tell me where I could find something like that in a radial? I want it to be as original as possible. Thanks to everybody who can help me. Jeff

I had been told by a long-time '59 Buick owner that the correct whitewall width is 2-1/2 inches.<P>After some research, I opted for the Coker Classic radial whitewall for my '59 Electra. The whitewall is about 2-3/4 inches wide, so it is slightly wider than the original but looks very correct.<P>By the way, a friend of mine with a gorgeous '59 LeSabre tried some other brands of radial wide whitewalls, but was disappointed because the whitewalls kept turning brown. He ended up with Cokers.

I have driven my '55 Century Htp over 3000 miles in the past year on Coker radials and think they are great. Still look good as new with no discoloration. Drives like I remember these cars drove in the '50's. What is wrong with the bias ply tires we are buying now days? Cars never wandered all over the road back in the '40's and '50's when bias was the only tire made. Does anybody have an answer?

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Cooker tires are very good. I agree. I have had them on 3 of my cars, with no problem.<BR>Cooker has been around for many years and they back up their products. I have heard many horror stories about other tires. Stick with Cooker.<P>Scott<P>------------------<BR>