Charging for Display of Cars.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

How do clubs normally handle requests for a display of old cars? For instance, say a museum is having a special program or dedication and wants your club to bring out several cars. Do you charge them? Do you charge by the car or just a flat rate for how ever many show up? What if it's not a museum, but a business who intends to use your cars as an attraction for customers. Do you charge more than for the non-profit organizations like the museum?<P>Tell me how your clubs handle this sort of request.

Because we are not a business, our region does not charge any set fees for car displays. However, if its a business that wants to use us as an advertising opportunity, then we will work with them determining a donation to the region. Typically, businesses we have worked with agree to pay a donation of at least $20.00 per car, plus pay for any People's Choice plaques or other awards. Some businesses limit the number of cars they will pay for, while some will pay for any and all cars they can get.<P>One store recently holding a grand opening could not legally justify making a payment to the club in its books. The store's solution was to pay each car $7.00 per hour for as long as the car was present up to 8 hours...just as if the car owner was a temporary employee. It kept things legal and the region actually received more of a donation.<P>As for museums and non-profit, our region will often display cars as a favor and not require any monetary compensation. We will accept offers from the organization such as lunch, advertising in a program, etc. Often we do ask to be allowed to set up a club table on the site and provide information on the club to spectators. Other than that, we typically do the show for free.<P>These are just a few ways that we respond to car display requests. Hope it helps.<p>[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: BruceW ]

Guess I have a slightly different take on what BruceW has experienced. When I had outside organizations come to me requesting cars as a Region contact, my standard response for commercial ventures was to agree to organize a group of 5 to 7 cars if they would make a donation of $500 to the AACA (Musuem or Library, both qualified 501c orgs) and feed the participants if there was a food event. This makes it a true deductable on their books.<P>Other outside organizationevents that had no income basis were asked to donate at least one meal for each car occupant. Members get many invitations to show their car for someone else's benefit that you must have a compelling reason for members to make the effort to bring their cars out. cool.gif" border="0

The two AACA regions I belong to don't have judging of the cars, so no expense for plaques is incurred. If we're invited to a museum show, the only thing that we request is free or reduced fee admission to the museum to all who bring their antique cars. We never charge a fee to anyone bringing their cars.<BR>Roger tongue.gif" border="0

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi, I am in the same two regions as Roger Price, and he is correct, we do not charge. We usually get free entrance and free food from the sponcers. If the location is deamed worthy, we will expend our $ to promote the event, supply our own food, run a 50/50 raffle and make a donation to befefit the place. If the location is profit making, ie restaurant, we get free eats. smile.gif" border="0

Guest rcirilli

One of the three clubs I belong to charges on average of $30.00 per car unless it is a charity that a particular member has a relationship with. Attendance is alway voluntary so it works itself out. they are asked so frequently that they could supply cars every week for something or two. This particular club tours extensively so members are more in clined to tour than be props. Have said that there are always a few that go where requested.

Our region is registered as a non-profit, and we usually live up to that classification by spending all our income in a given calendar year. smile.gif" border="0 <P>We supplement the dues income with money from parades. We have a standard fee of $200 for parades, usually with a guarantee that we'll provide 4-6 vehicles (minimum).<P>Over the past few years, our region has also been invited to show our cars at a couple of commercial establishments, and for those we typically charge a "per car" fee. They tell us how many they want to have (or are willing to pay for) and we supply the cars. We request (but don't always get) food, goody bags, and/or publicity in any advertising they put out. Some of these shows have proved quite lucrative to our club, and they often ask us back again the next year.<P>At various times, our region has also put on "free" shows at local nursing homes. We regard this more in the nature of public service, and a way for our club to give back to the community. Even then, the nursing home will usually find a way to provide us with lunch or some other small perks, as a thank you for our time. For me, though, the look in the eyes of the residents as they reminisce with us about the good old days is more than enough payment.<P>Jan K.<BR>Wis Region