O- rings for gaskets

Guest mtworkshop

Guest mtworkshop

The "Sad News" got too long.

The standard for making o-rings on Atomic Submarines is to cut the o-ring stock on the diagonal so that you cut both pieces at the same time and attach the ends together with Super Glue. Loctite makes a kit with primer and all the stuff you need. Go to an industrial supply house for the stuff.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I had not gone that exotic; but I have made up and sucessfully used the "O" ring stock and cut it 1/2" longer than size, overlaped each end 1/4", cut both ends at one time, coated it with RTV, put it together and as far as I know it is still sealed, & working. lz

Guest My TC Toy

Lou is correct. Cut the "gasket" slightly longer to compensate for heat shrinkage that will occur when installed. Also I would recommend a stiffener or splice be installed inside the 'o' ring to reinforce the joint, be sure to use a adhesive that does NOT dry hard, but retains its flexibility.

When you put it together with a small amount of "RTV" including using it as glue to hold the two mitered ends together it seems to work fine. Just remember to clean the mitered end area with alcohol. I use waxed paper and glue the ends first..lz

• 2 weeks later...

I should have added another important step. The final cleaning of mating surfaces is done with Laquer thinner, or Acetone. I do not use this on the mitered "O" ring ends, I think it is a little too strong for that. Lou