Adjustable rocker arms for the Packard V8

RichFox

I just thought I would post this for anyone who might be thinking of installing adjustabls rockers on their Packard. I had been using Smith bros. adjustable push rods on my Packard engine. I would like the engine to run in the 5000 to 6000 rpm range and so solid lifters are required. The Smith pushrods worked fine but I'm to old and tired to fool around asjusting them. So I stepped up and bought rocker arms from http://www.rockerarms.com/. Since I allready had my .513 lift cam and 14 to 1 Arias pistons installed I couldn't take advantage of a higher ratio rocker. The valves just clear the piston crowns now. These rockers come as an assembly and were very nice looking and fit perfectly. except when I wanted to install the rocker covers. There are different ways to modify the valve covers to clear the adjusters but I had already cherried out my covers, powder coated them and installed the Packard script so I didn't want to change them. I cut out a 5'16 thick 6061 aluminum spacer and stuck a cork casket to each side with black RTV. When installed on the engine it dosen't show and clears the adjusters.

post-50481-143138016755_thumb.jpg

post-50481-143138016758_thumb.jpg

post-50481-143138016761_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

That spacer is what I call 'A Great Fix'! grin.gif

Thanks for Info on rockers.

Be sure to let us know what RPM you get.

Do you plan to Dyno it or just wait until the next run on the flats?

The driver said he thought he saw 5000 on the tach. Yeah and he saw Elvis at the 3. You can,t believe drivers. Anyway I plan to run the car next at Lovelock in May. They plan to have either one mile or one kilo time trials evetually four one mile trials a year. Then back to the salt in Sept. No dyno for me. If I'm going to blow it, I'll do it at the races.

Hi, Rich,

Anyone still building race engines at your age isn't <span style="font-weight: bold">too</span> lazy.

Since I've got the P/V clearance, I'm going to hold out for roller rockers in 1.72 ratio. I've got two sources who say they can make them, but I may just try it myself.

thnx, jack vines