fast idle

Guest jerryjbennett

Guest jerryjbennett

All of a sudden: From the normal 900rpm up to 1400rpm.

Last year I had a new head and turbo installed. The car

ran like a jewel. A couple weeks ago I decided to use the cruise control. Appeared to be good holding 65mph. So I punched it to feal the turbo. Great!

Now when starting car the idle is high and continues to be

between 1400-1500RPM.

Got any suggestions where to start looking?

Hi Jerry,

Normally all idle functions are controlled by that shuttle valve on the side of the throttle body. It usually needs to be sprayed (Cleaned) occasionally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LouZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Jerry,

Normally all idle functions are controlled by that shuttle valve on the side of the throttle body. It usually needs to be sprayed (Cleaned) occasionally. </div></div>

Otherwise known as the AIS (automatic idle Sensor?) Or the butterfly is stuck a little. Pull the throttle body and use a can of tb cleaner with good gloves.

• 1 month later...
Guest vicsik1969

I changed my PCV valve last year and notice that everytime I punch the throttle, it the hose between the PCV valve and the intake manifold blows off.

So, reading this, is that somewhat common?

Idle jumps from 850 to the described 1400...

Zip ties are your friend Darren wink.gif I only kicked this thread up because Jerry sent my a PM that he found the cause of his high idle, a disconnected vacuum line. My reply to him asked him to update his thread with the resolution of the issue,(a pic of the offender would be pretty cool too) otherwise we get questions/sypmtoms for problems but no answers blush.gif I also mentioned that many list members may be reading along that have not posted, but have encountered similar issues.

Alan